new boat project with pics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driveshaft22

Reaction score
Hi all. Ive been reading thru a lot of the mods and projects on this site since the purchase of the new (old) tinny. And have assembled a fair idea of how I want the boat to look and work.

I thought Id share my plans so far. I haven't picked the boat up yet, its about a 9hr return drive, but in the next few weeks will have it here to start work on.

A little about my situation..

I live in Central Queensland Australia, which is not too remote but it is certainly what they call "The Outback". There are numerous large dams and fresh water fishing within about a 5hour radius from me and the east coast and Whitsunday islands to fish.

The Boat...(un named as yet)
I have got my hands on a 16ft of 4.75meter aluminium boat made by De Havilland (aircraft manufacturers) in 1977. I have only seen a couple of photos as yet but have been assured that it is structurally sound.

I have been using a free 3D modelling software called Google Sketch up to do some plans up. It is very handy as I can work to scale including dimensions and rotate in all directions. The biggest limitation with the software is curved surfaces, which is what a boat has lots of, so I have been limited a bit, but you can get the general idea from the pics.

I'll throw the pics up and look forward to hearing about improvements and changes that might be suggested.

Any questions please feel free to ask. I will update with more info as the project progresses.

Thanks
0001.jpg
0002.jpg

Here is a pic of the boat..

I have also picked up a 1994 Yamaha 20hp Long shaft for the rig. I picked it up for $100 because the previous owner been advised to buy a new motor instead of replacing the seals, so he did and drained the oil from the lower unit and stored it for 2 years..... so after pulling it all down.. 5 bearing 4 seals, orings and water pump later... Like new again. came to under $400. Started on the second pull.
img011.jpg

Looks like a fun boat. My suggestions are take it out a couple times before you start your modifications.

Spend some time in your driveway making motor noises and practicing with your fishing rigs so you'll be more comfortable when you hit the water. A couple hours on the water will help you decide what you want to do vs. what you really need to do.

When you go get the old girl, at the very least jack up each wheel and make sure the bearings spin nicely and the tires are good for the trip. A couple shots of fresh grease will probably be a good investment.

Boats are Barbie dolls for men.

Thanks for the replies.

I saw some pics of a smokercraft pro or something like that, and really liked it. The choice of seat locations and console.
I want to be able to store all my rods and tackle, that's why the long compartment on the left and the multiple ones on the right for tackle.

For the electronics, Im going to mount a 20 watt solar panel to the front of the console that will fold down when in transit. That will charge a Gell cell Deep cycle batt to run: Sounder, bilge pump, live well pump and a few LED lights.

Im going to fabricate my own cosole and use the Teflex steering system and retro fit some old forward controls for the gears and throttle.

At the back will be 2 hatches that lift from the centre to house 2 fuel tanks. The front will have a anchor well on top and doors on the facia for access under the casting deck for life jackets etc.

Im not sure where I want the live well yet front, middle or back?

A few concerns I have are mainly about electrolysis. To weld or rivet? use insulation between surfaces? add anodes to key locations?
Another site says don't paint aluminium cause it speeds up electrolysis.

Maybe Ill paint above the water line on the outside and leave the inside unpainted unless there are leaks that need to be filled.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Nice looking outfit...
In the picture,the motor looks a lot bigger than a 20hp,maybe that was "his" motor?
A 20hp is going to be alittle small but it should get the job done,with a lighter load.

The solar power is going to put out around 1.6amps(?),so there will be some current around.
As long as you don't use the hull as a ground and maybe isolate some of the electronics,lights etc.from the hull,electrolysis shouldn't be a problem.
I've never seen where painting the hull is an issue,other than using the wrong type paint/primer...I think it was copper based.
Use aluminum rivets or stainless fasteners and take some shots of the modding.Looks like you have a good jump on what you want to do.

Love seeing people from other countries on here,the scenery,fish and lifestyle always has me watching.
Welcome to the site.

Ok, finally have the boat home after a marathon drive. I turned the boat on its side and pulled out all the rotted ply and carpet and gave it a hose down.

The previous owner thinks it is a 1970 model but no one really knows.

The aluminium is in amazing condition. No dents, corrosion or cracks. It has outlived 3 different paint schemes.
Whatever grade ally they built it with is impressive.

I have since removed the paint from the rails and generally cleaned it and removed all the old wiring and brackets since these pics. I will post up more photos soon.

No boat trailer at the moment. I will build a new one in the next few weeks that incorporates a rooftop camper tent.
0004.jpg
0005.jpg

Wow....now that I can see the actual boat....that is really a cool design. Love the rails.

How long/wide is it again? Did you already say that in a previous post?

Hi thanks for the reply, it 16' long and 6' wide.

Here is a pic of one of my favourite fishing spots, and my main motivation to build a boat worthy of it.
bowen1.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327032#p327032 said:
driveshaft22 » 22 Aug 2013, 17:57[/url]"]Hi thanks for the reply, it 16' long and 6' wide.

Here is a pic of one of my favourite fishing spots, and my main motivation to build a boat worthy of it.

I can definitely understand the motivation! What an awesome fishing spot. 8)

Google Sketch... I know what I'll be doing this afternoon :)

Here, in the US, we have to have a blower to evacuate fumes from enclosed areas where they may accumulate. I would assume you would need the same thing, maybe depending on 'how enclosed' your fuel 'cabinets' are. I like your project, and your fishing spot is outstanding!

Gary

Hi, I don't think Ill need a blower, there will be plenty of ventilation. Have a look at the following pic which is from inside the boat looking at the back. I can add a vent on each side of the facia to let air in which will push fumes out the top near the motor mount. There should not be fumes at all. The tanks are plastic and will be removed for filling.
0008.jpg

Nice,very nice...i like it !, we have some friends in Melbourne and Hobart (Tasmania)....so one day we will pay them a visit. It seems that Canada and Australia have a lot in common....ofcourse not the climate !

I got the trailer frame design nearly done with the tilt mechanism. Im just trying to work out how to mount a rooftop camper to the trailer and still get the boat on and off, plus weight distribution for towing. I found out on the way back home with the boat that a head wind really makes the old wagon struggle. A few more details to work out.
0011.jpg

Latest posts