PLYWOOD....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylerprochaska

Reaction score
Im starting to look at my options for flooring. Im trying to avoid pressure treated at all costs, even though my flooring will have no contact with the hull of the boat. Anyway, I came across this stuff at MeNards today and was wondering if anyone could share some insight on the subject... is this stuff pressure treated? It doesn't say it is, and from what I've read online PT wood shows green on the edges... There are green stripes painted on the boards seen in the pictures, but I believe that is the company's idiot proof system of keeping the 3/4" and 5/8" separate. Any input is helpful, Im planning on putting some roll in bedliner on the hull where the edges of the floor meet the aluminum... also, all pieces of plywood will have the edges wrapped in carpet, and the bottom will be resting on an un-treated 2x2 frame.

Not pressure treated. I used the 3/4" for my floor panels since it was the only plywood locally that didn't look like crap.

Thanks for the input guys! At that Price Im def going to go pick up some tomorrow. The only thickness options they had were 3/4", 5/8", and 1/4". The 1/4" looked very flimsy and in my mind 3/4" is overkill so I'll stick with 5/8". Thanks again guys!

HI Kyler. Looks like it's non-pt and made with exterior grade glue, which is exactly what you want. You can then seal it with either 2-part epoxy or some Spar Urethane. I used 3/4" in my 14' semi-v hull tinny and it works great. You can probably get away with 1/2"-5/8", but I wouldn't go much thinner than. Be sure to use either stainless steel screws or aluminum rivets to hold the decking in place. You can even put some pink/blue, closed cell insulation foam board beneath the decks to add a bit of emergency flotation, should you ever get swamped.

Wouldn't painting the plywood with some exterior house paint help protect it from moisture?

I think I will paint any of my support lumber with it as well.

I would use the spar urethane instead of exterior paint. Exterior house paint is designed to slough off over time, the urethane is waterproof and better in my opinion.

Latest posts