Carpet or Vinyl?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl008018

Reaction score
Almost finished building the casting platform and storage on a V bottom boat. I am at the point that I need to decide if I purchase vinyl or carpet.

Any opinions / thoughts on which one to go with? Can I get away without gluing and just stapling on the underside of the doors and platform?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I think you should probably use glue no matter which you choose. I had vinyl on my floors and carpet on front deck and storage. Carpet is nice but when it gets wet it stays wet. I am at the start of a resto/mod and have not decided what to use, leaning toward vinyl at the moment.

An option better than those two: Spray on Bedliner.

I personally have a Lowe R1760 sprayed with the "gator tough liner" all over the entire inside of the boat.

The aluminum gets not hot, you can sit anytime even at middle of the day with the bare legs; The paint prevents any skid accident. You can step even all around the rail without problems.
That rough paint is enough to not skid when whet, and the best thing i like is that I use the boat frequently, and the floor looks decently clean just using a vacuum or a broom.

I have spilled everything like chilli sauces, fish guts, lots of soda, and such. Just take some water from the lake, pour it on, and let it go through the water escape ways, and thats about it.

A great side effect on this, the spray on liner acts as sound deadening. Theres less whinning from the aluminum when flexing, or being step on.

Frankly, it might be costly, but its a very good investment for decades to come.

why not both ? definately glue it down or it will stretch and wrinkle.

Attachments

• IMG_2505_0009.jpg
    IMG_2505_0009.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 468
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 468
Vinyl's easier to clean and dries faster. Carpet is easier on your knees and feet for a long day. I used the Nautolex on my boat and it's certainly held up over the 2 years since I installed it.

Good luck!

Something non-skid, and does not hold Water or little Hooks, split shot etc.
Carpet is for Kids.

I wonder about some thing like PL in a thick layer. You can Knurl the surface for non skid. It'd probably never be a problem and it's paint-able to cut down the glare.

Poly-Ethelyene. It's a Glue/Sealer/etc like that.
It's water proof. Stay's pliable, and not sticky in hot weather.
You can get it in Squeeze tubes, gallon can's and maybe bigger at the Box Stores.

I have vinyl in my big boat. Love the way it is easy to clean. In my little boat which has a wood floor, I have paint with sand added to it so I have some traction. Some of the newer boats have vinyl with snap on carpeting.

First post ever on any forum:
Trying to keep my budget on the low side, I used leftover ice dam material intended as a sub-layer for roofs. It is self-adhesive, self-healing if punctured, and has a grit surface like sandpaper. Only drawback is it is black but I haven't noticed a high heat buildup. I clean it with a garden hose.

BTW, I applied this to 1/4" baltic birch underlayment plywood. It is 5-ply and tougher than heck. I attached it to the ribs with stainless steel screws. There is no bounce in the deck.

Latest posts