paint options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagullplayer

Reaction score
Just picked up a "new" 14 Lowe jon boat. It is in pretty fair shape, needs transom plywood replaced and a lot of clean up, but said not to leak.

I would really like to put a coat of paint on it before next spring.

(I will not be removing any of the old paint, it is dull but otherwise seems intact.)

My plan was to clean all the stickers/numbers off, rough it up a bit and roll it with Rust-oleum.

Will this not work?

I fish small lakes, most electric only, fresh water only.

That should work but anywhen there is bare aluminum you need to spray a zink chromate primer first.

Might also investigate "implement" paint; around here it is used for farm equipment, so has to be durable, UV safe, and goes on thick. Limited selection of colors, but most are colors that would be appropriate for boats.

Have fun, be safe.

I used rustoleum top side paint that I picked up at Ace Hardware. I did two tone white and blue and I brushed it on. Turned out pretty good for a brush on job. The paint comes in quart cans and is on the thick side. I also did a jon with spray cans and it's holding up very good. Have fun!

Speaking of rattle cans, how many would you think for a 14ft flat bottom Jon?
I am thinking ten total, inside and out? :?:
(Its NOT a wide jon, just a standard Lowe width)

With it being winter and all, I am thinking I might have a hard time getting paint to dry.

I can heat my garage, but only when I am working in there. I figure a light coat from a spray can would dry much faster than anything I would brush or roll on?