Steering Wheel removal Starcraft 14'

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
troutski

Post by troutski »

I am getting my 1979 Starcraft 14' with windshield ready for an overnighter at the sandblasters and I can't seem to figure out how to remove the steering wheel and assembly. I don't want to destroy or damage the original cable mechanism, I am sure I am missing something simple. The wheel its self is made of a type of plastic around the hub so a wheel puller is out, I did remove the name plate and found the shaft, can't find a locking ring or pin to remove. Hopefully someone has been down this path and can help this rookie out.
Thanks for any help...

Chuck
Practice "CPR"
catch, photograph and release

JMichael

Post by JMichael »

It might help if you could post some closeup shots of what you're dealing with.

Jonboat Jerry

Post by Jonboat Jerry »

My boat has a Teleflex NFB Destroyer type wheel that I installed. I attempted to remove it during construction and found that I couldn't.
Hub Cover came off and the shaft nut removed ok. The shaft is tapered and has a slotted key way for a Shaft Key.
The shaft nut, when tightened, will bond the hub to the shaft if not greased beforehand. The only way I could remove it
is with an axle puller, which would destroy the Bezel, or a dent puller. If it is a metal wheel, you might try heating it with a torch, but be aware of the fire hazards. Jerry :)
20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat AlumaZilla
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=20643
HB 1197C

lovedr79

Post by lovedr79 »

i used a pickle fork for taking off balljoints on mine.
Grizzly 1448SC
Lowe 10' jon