tiller extension ?- how long is too long, and how to measure

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

back4more

Reaction score
Im about to order a tiller extension for my 1436 and want to make sure Im measuring correctly, and not getting an extension that is too long.

Im thinking I need a 46 inch extension. this measurement would have me reaching back just a little, and I would have about 8 inches between front end of tiller extension and my backside. is this too long for safe operation?

Before you buy one, go up to "Search" in in the upper right corner of this page and type in "Tiller extension" and it pops up several posts on the subject. You make your own and you might save you some money. Good luck!

Hi back. I made a tiller extension for my old '66, 20hp johnson using 1-1/4" thin walled PVC. I simply cut a few 2-3 inch long slits in one end with a small hole drilled at the end of each slit to prevent cracking, I then slid it over the stock handle and secured it in place with a couple pipe clamps. It works great, only cost about $5 and can be removed in about 30 seconds. I don't know how/why I ever lived without one. Mine is probably 36" long. That way I can stand and still have full range of motion while underway. You'll just have to eye ball it for your own purposes. If you don't stand while under way, you can probably make it 18"-24". As long as you use thin-walled PVC, weight shouldn't be an issue either. Some folks also use aluminum baseball bats in a similar manner by simply cutting off the top, adding a few slits and sliding it over the tiller. If you're rich, or santa likes you a lot there are even carbon fiber versions, but they cost more than my boat....and truck......and house......combined. Be warned once you go to a tiller an/or grab bar set up you'll never go back again :)

I made mine using 2” PVC to fit over the motor throttle, I drilled holes and cut slots like was mentioned above. I then reduced it down using a coupler and a bushing to 1” for the handle.

Be careful, on my motor which is a newer Yamaha 20 - 4s I ended up breaking off the throttle handle because of the way the motor handle is made. I needed to have the 2” PVC go all the way to the base of the motor handle. The motor handle is plastic with a rubber flexing section and then a heavy metal piece molded into the end to reduce vibration. The extra leverage was too much for the flex part. I did not have the PVC go all the way to the base. I fixed that now and it is working fine so far.

Latest posts