Boat purchase advise

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcontrer82

Reaction score
Okay, this is the last time I ask for advise on a boat purchase. I promise...I think I found a great deal this time. The guy said he would take $2000. What do you all think?

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/4254446896.html

Not a bad price - as always look the boat over very carefully. Although the photos are horrible -the motor looks like a 1980s Evinrude tracker? If so, I have the same motor and it is a beast! If the motor starts (with muffs on ALWAYS) then it is a fair price

seems like too high of a price to me. I wouldn't pay 2000 for an 87 lowe 1642 and an old evinrude that has been run in saltwater. trailer looks like it will probably need work also and you never no to what extent- it may be more than just cosmetic. I would keep looking.

I dont think its a bad buy but I would try to get him down another 500 any ways just in case you gotta do repairs that should cover seals in a lower unit or sum cause you know itll need em! I dont shop at wal mart because i dont feel like im gettin a better deal then anyone else LOL

Heck if you want to spend $2000 you should buy my old boat.
'81 Lowe 2000 Yamaha 40. Only down side is I don't have a trailer for it. It is on one now that you could just have, but I can't say if it would make the 3 hour drive.
If have some pics also if interested.

I can't see the pic you posted, phone is acting up.

I’m not trying to be a dick,

Just trying to be realistic. People seem to overvalue things. I guess it comes back to basic economics. Supply and demand. I think I was asking $2500 for my 1448 and sold it for $2200 it was in mint condition.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 963
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 963
Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I really don't want to make a bad purchase..

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341474#p341474 said:
mcontrer82 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:36 pm[/url]"]Okay, this is the last time I ask for advise on a boat purchase. I promise...I think I found a great deal this time. The guy said he would take $2000. What do you all think?
https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/4254446896.html

If it was me, I'd keep looking (motor looks like it was 'ridden hard & put away wet').
Times are tough right now (shhhh...don't tell Barry & pop his balloon of delusion :roll: ) &
there are better deals to be had IF you're patient.
Good luck!

Country Dave said:

Just trying to be realistic. People seem to overvalue things. I guess it comes back to basic economics. Supply and demand. I think I was asking $2500 for my 1448 and sold it for $2200 it was in mint condition.

If you're referring to my post, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.

A Yamaha 40hp alone is worth $1500 in my area of the U.S. I could have put your boat for sale here for $3200 and sold it for $2800+. But that is my area....not yours.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=341620#p341620 said:
huntinfool » 47 minutes ago[/url]"]
Country Dave said:

If you're referring to my post, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.

A Yamaha 40hp alone is worth $1500 in my area of the U.S. I could have put your boat for sale here for $3200 and sold it for $2800+. But that is my area....not yours.

No bro not at all referring to you post,

referring to the OP post for the boat he was looking at.

id be all over the boat posted with a 40 hp for 2grand. otherwise,id pass on the one on CL, you can get a brand new 1648 for $1700. be patient and find a decent 25 - 35 hp motor for 500 - 700, and another $300 for trailer. I lived in beeville, tx,and one things for sure, around the corpus/port lavaca area, there are boats and boat parts literally everywhere.

Huntingfool. Id buy that boat today for 2 grand and not even jew. Im not saying that cause I just bought a boat. Im just saying thats a really good price. Where you located at? If your anywhere near me Im 100 percent sure My buddy will buy it(assumeing it runs out good an after a test ride). I was hunting a boat bigger then my 1232 and a new jon was going to cost 2 grand new. I found a scratch and dent welded 1448 weldbuilt for 1200 but I didnt figure my little 9.8 would plain it out so while shopping at the dealer I found a one owner 1650 mod v alumacraft with a 50 hp johnson for 4 grand. I ended up buying it because it was a one owner boat and its clean. The motor came off a pontoon a guy had a bearing lay down because he seals were bad in the lower unit and he wanted to get on the water that wek so he traded the motor in on a new merc. It runs 27mph acording to gps but I think the prop on it was pitched for torque so when I get a stainless one Ima see if I cant get a little more speed. Sorry I went off topic but Id buy huntingfools boat and spend a little time and money to get the trailer road worthyor pick up one off Craigslist and go on for that kinda money. Thats my opinion but everybody has one just like buttholes and they all stink!

I'm in Katy, Texas. Just outside Houston.
I haven't been actively trying to sell my boat because I don't have a decent trailer. With a trailer its probably worth $2500.
I have been working on my new boat and trying to come up with a motor for it.

Sorry I had a Blondel moment there. It says it on your profile just to the left of your post. Ive owned mercs evinrudes and I have a Johnson now but Ive been curious about them yammys. I hear and read a lot of good stuff about them and I met a guy with a 40 in a tourney that said there's nothing else out there but yamaha. Any input as to problems they have or problems you've had/ pros and cons.

The man at the tournament was correct Yamaha is the best offered these days. Never had a problem with the couple I have owned. Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts