Help, new guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bultaco

Reaction score
IMG_0343-1.jpgView attachment 359 years old and have a awesome project. 1979 Lowe. 1981 9.9 Merc and trailer. Many questions please. Writing from Wichita Ks.
The aft is 60 inches and it is 16' long. What is the largest motor it will take?
Need to replace transom, I need to remove the tray and it looks like the rivets are bucked with a washer. Dot I need to repeat that or can I use a sealed aluim rivet with a steel shank and will I need to use a washer?
To do the transom with white oak I need to remove the to rail and those rivets are also bucked.
Can not wait to start this project. here are some pics and thank you for the help.
Sorry if i messed up the pics
Bob
https://s1061.photobucket.com/user/bultaco1/library/?sort=3&page=1

Attachments

• IMG_0345-3.jpg
    IMG_0345-3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_0346-5.jpg
    IMG_0346-5.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_0348-6.jpg
    IMG_0348-6.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,018
I really like the boat. You have a great canvas to do pretty much as much or as little as you want. I think a lot of guys are going to tell you to get a bigger motor, But really that all in what your doing with the boat and were your using it. As far as rivets go ( keep in mind this is just a hillbilly engineers opinion and there are far more qualified people on here who will probably weigh in ) I think you would be fine with the proper pull rivet be it closed or open end ( lots of sizes and varieties available because the boat is not that old and your metal looks sound ( there may be some structural areas that may or may not require the added holding power, however a lot of times when adding wood for decks and floor and such the load is transferred and more spread out, so the extra holding power may not be needed.) Pull rivets dipped in an epoxy or 5200 will seal nicely; Then again, there are some purists on this this site who will say go with rebucking rivets. Of coarse that's up to you and keep in mind you will need an helper to do that in a lot of places.

All in all the boat looks great. Do a leak test. Fix what you have to. Seal the inside with Gluvet ot some other product, use a sealer on outside if you wish. Research the builds on this site and don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of people here with a wealth of info that's free for the asking. But you have to post lots and lots of pictures, because some us don't reed nor rite 2 gud. :)

WELCOME to the site :WELCOME:

I would use stainless steel bolts and nut to replace the rivets that go through the transom.

Yes and no, rode and restored them for 20 years. I have 6 of them im my shed and they went though a flood last year and need to be restored. Also I have a pursang 250 motor on my shelf that I put new bearings in 10 years ago and it is still sitting there. Also have a 81 4 speed auto husky 500 that runs great. I fell last year and have 14 screws in my ankle and have moved from the farm to town so my new hobby is going to be to restore this boat and do some fishing.

Bultaco, I'm from rose hill nice to see other people from the area. Where do you plan on fishing? In answer to your question it's hard to tell exactly what your boat will handle hp wise but I have a 16' bass tracker mod v with a 50 hp merc. I do believe that is the maximum recommended for mine.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392923593.580480.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342034#p342034 said:
jtrip » 17 Feb 2014, 07:44[/url]"]Hey new guy. Not to change the subject but do you ride a Bultaco? M99 here.

boat looks good! I had a 1973 penton 175 jack piner. I ride a KTM now.

I plan on fishing at Hargis lake here in town about two miles from my house and Wellington Lake. We will have to hook up.
Bob :LOL2:

Mo side of Kansas City about 2 week ago. It was a craigslist thing. 8) 8) Trailer has new wiring, new bearings and wheels. 9.9 Merc and titles for all. Do you fish much? Need a teacher, I am a trout fisher man from Colorado. Fish in streams not lakes and have never trolled.
Bob

I'd like to tell you I'm a professional but I am far from it. I normally go after crappie and bass, I enjoy doing some cat fishing, but more than anything for me it is the joy of being out there.

Latest posts