boating safety course

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoldy

Reaction score
I just finished the 'boatus' course and I'm curious. How many of you have taken such a course, why, and how did you do? I got through on my first try, but it certianly wasn't easy. I'm well beyond the age requirement for Florida. I took it so I can rent other power boats at our local military base marinas.

Gary

I've taken the course, parents wouldn't let me get a boat without it. There's some valuable stuff in it, but there's a lot of waste as well. I think it should be trimmed down for PWC to be seperate.

I took Americas Boating Course with the local chapter of the US Power Squadron and it was very thorough. Money well spent that opens up cheaper rental and insurance rates. You get to keep all the class materials, plus you get the Coastal Explorer on CD which I frequently review for fishing spots.
I had no trouble with the 12hr course, I've had plenty of sailing experience, both one design and off shore on other people's boats. I took it because I was getting into tin boating and getting a boat of my own. Yippee :)

its mandatory up here in canada for any powered boat operators. kids kept injuring/killing themselves on jetskis. the government finally said enough and started phasing it in a few years ago.only the fishing lodges are exempt,which has the worst offenders for jackass boat behavior. :? i did mine online a couple years ago.i figured it wasn't worth the fine/hassle if i got caught.it was a worthwhile course,and its free.

Took it because it was required, but would have taken it anyway, because the info was interesting and useful. Passed first try and it transfers to other states. Helps many be safer boaters, won't help some, can't cure stupid. Glad it was required.

Latest posts