beat the heat ...... shade / cover / bimini / t-top

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

back4more

Reaction score
I've searched tinboats and found various ideas for shading, but I didnt find anything where someone has created a T-top like cover. mostly found umbrellas (which I may end up going with).

so has anyone tried anything with pvc? seems like it would be cheap and easy.

jonboatshade-1.png

My guess would be that when you hit the waves over and over with that much overhead, it may snap. Maybe if the uprights were larger, I just don't know.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344631#p344631 said:
huntinfool » 11 Mar 2014, 19:44[/url]"]My guess would be that when you hit the waves over and over with that much overhead, it may snap. Maybe if the uprights were larger, I just don't know.

That was what I was thinking too, plus a big gust of wind might snap the top loose.

i'm in the middle of building a t top like you've posted for my 14 ft. g3 v hull. picked up all the fittings from mcmaster carr and the wife is sourcing inch and a quarter od aluminum tubing thru work that hopefully she'll slip into a large order and save me ca$h.i found a source for odd pieces of sunbrella fabric as well.everything will will bolt together with set screws and be removeable for long road trips.now i just need time to assemble.i don't mind fishing in raingear but it gets freaking hot in august so i have a couple months yet.

Every time I have seen someone do this they end up with damage or not using it. I have ridden in a Jon boat with a t - top and it was like having a giant sail at first and after putting a pitch adjustment it was a little more useful but still ended up being thrown in the shed

Not sure about the home brew t-top, but I love the bimini I put on my jon. Great for summers in the south.

I love my Bimini top, could not survive south Louisiana heat without it. It will cost me a couple of MPH in top end, but has not torn off or had any issues. I know everyone here loves the do it yourself theme as do I, but for a top a Bimini may be the best choice over something home made.

You folks run with the top up, or put it up when stationary?

I was puzzling on shade last year and could only think of an umbrella to put in a holder when fishing. Obviously, I was too pessimistic.

pictures please?

Kismet

I run w/ the bimini up, no worries.

Only pic I can find right now is one from inside the garage. I'll try to find some action shots. I debating going with a bimini, but once I had it, I wouldn't go without. This is the second jon I put one on.

Attachments

• DSCF1336.jpg
    DSCF1336.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 3,103
the bimini top is nice but too many braces and staps in the way to troll properly.especially with a 10 ft. flyrod.i like the t top for the room it leaves

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344748#p344748 said:
bcbouy » Yesterday, 18:55[/url]"]the bimini top is nice but too many braces and staps in the way to troll properly.especially with a 10 ft. flyrod.i like the t top for the room it leaves

You troll w/ a ten foot flyrod? :shock:

I hear you though, I got the slider track which allows me to move it forward a good bit so there's plenty of room to troll off the back.

no,i nymph with it :LOL2: ,but when its pointed out the side and i'm drift or indicator fishing there's no room to move the rod unless I jump up to the bow.

I think this would give a person shade, and room to play the fish. I've seen this on tv, but haven't tried building one yet.

Attachments

• swamp people canopy.png
    swamp people canopy.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 2,896
I tested my sun umbrella today, and it shaded the motor really well #-o

guess I'll have to position the boat as needed when I want the shade. my head was shaded though, just not my arms and legs. I know in the summer the cool head is whats needed most.

shadeunbrella.jpg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345812#p345812 said:
Scott1298 » Today, 01:18[/url]"]Modify this and post it so I can figure how to do it! https://www.sunsailcabana.com/
That looks simple enough to make to fit any size boat. All you need is a little breeze to keep it up as long as the breeze is from the right direction. Cool project.

I've tried the umbrella thing in my 14ft v-hull.
It worked well enough but did not shade a large enough area for my wife and dog.

I've been thinking about the targa top but I'm afraid of the 'sail' possibility.

Has anyone ever mounted a bimini to the front of the boat? Essentially backwards.....
I don't need an shade at the rear; its all for the passengers. I realize that mounting it backwards means it fill fold down in an awkward direction but will it compromise its strength while underway?

Any input would be helpfull

My custom bimini top. No straps but does have two aluminum poles, one in the front (starboard side) and one in the rear (port side) and two cross supports that hold it open. It provides good shade in the heat of the day and you can stand up underneath it. The pole on the port side can easily be moved to the front if needed. Oh, did I mention the rocket launcher.

One bad thing about a bimini top is they seem to always be in the way when you catch a fish. As you can see, on my boat the bimini top doesn't cover the front and rear seats. This gives a person room to fish without your rod hitting the top and room to move around without hitting your head. Most of the time we're trolling so sometimes your in the sun and sometimes your in the shade. If it gets to hot, simply stand up or sit on the middle bench.

If someone really wanted a lot of shade. Let say you live in a really hot area and like to take your family out with you and don't want to hear them complain about sitting in the sun all day. You could easily put two bimini tops on your boat. One up front and one in the rear and you could easily remove one when not needed. And if you want to be really trick, you could use tracks to slide your top forward and aft when needed.

To answer Siguz question, yes you could put a bimini top on backwards. You would just fold it forward to stow it.

BoatatlaunchLarge_zpscaa155ee.jpg

Kicking it in the shade, trolling on a cool windy day. If you look closely you can see the ipilot remote in my right hand.
Cameradump3214_zpsdc30c5d7.jpg

Latest posts