where can i get this part??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pemnuts

Reaction score
Here's a picture of a piece of aluminum from my son's boat. It's the front cover? a boat nose cone?
Where can i get one like this that would fit my boat? I am quite sure i need a part like this =/
What is the name of this thing?
Lastly, who might be able to sell or make something like this?

Attachments

• Boat and trailer 047.jpg
    Boat and trailer 047.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 1,374
  • Boat and trailer 044.jpg
    Boat and trailer 044.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 1,374
I would think only a manufacturer would have something like that and it would not have to be specifically for your boat, those things are pretty much all built the same way. Just Measure and try to get a manufacturer to accommodate you. Then again fabricating it from some stock aluminum should be very simple for a welder, plus maybe make it bigger to accommodate a trolling motor at the same time. Or maybe find an old junk boat with one.
Tim

Hate to say it but just threw one away a week ago. Came off a fiberglass john I just cut up and hauled off to get it outta my garage. Keep an eye out for some old fiberglass boats that are rotted out maybe they'd let ya have the whole boat for little or nothing.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=347052#p347052 said:
Loggerhead Mike » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:54 am[/url]"]Your local machine shop or most welders can build one
+1

I had a local area welder make a bow plate - it's not perfect but it will do the job and it looks ok to me.
Thanks for the help guys =] from the front, it goes back about 8 inches roughly.

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 1,123
I did a bit of shopping around for a welder or sheet metal fabricator to make this part, and found a welder that would do it for 30-35 dollars - when they called to say i better come look at it because it might not be what i want, i was hoping that they got it to fit my template correctly at least. They did make it fit the template correctly, but the front of it looked like a capital M from cutting and bending the material, kinda looking like a one toothed mouth, with one long tooth lol. It sure was shiny, but it had a scratch from front to back.. so i asked if they could cut the front part off and weld another front so the sides match, just like the picture shows now - total cost was $45, and they polished out the scratch too.. but it's not as shiny as it was originally, but for the price - I am not complaining =]
Here's a edited photo of what it looked like when i first saw it, when it had a tooth, now, the toothache is gone.

Attachments

• bow1.jpg
    bow1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,101
thatd be a funny part to duplicate as the original appeared to be cast. welders are dealing with sheet metal, so if they dont make the cut size right they will screw themselves out of their profit. glad you got a part that works.

the way they made it is not how i would have gone about it though!

thatd be a funny part to duplicate as the original appeared to be cast. welders are dealing with sheet metal,

Piece of cake. Even if you wanted the tip rounded just like the original.

I like fabricating little parts like that. Good item to use to take a mental break from a larger project.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348586#p348586 said:
bassboy1 » Yesterday, 22:11[/url]"]
thatd be a funny part to duplicate as the original appeared to be cast. welders are dealing with sheet metal,

Piece of cake. Even if you wanted the tip rounded just like the original.

I like fabricating little parts like that. Good item to use to take a mental break from a larger project.
seems like it would have been easy enough to make it out of flat bar and a piece of sheet metal, unless im missing something.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348649#p348649 said:
typed by ben » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:53 am[/url]"]seems like it would have been easy enough to make it out of flat bar and a piece of sheet metal, unless im missing something.

Yep, a scrap of .125 sheet and a short section of .125 x 1" flatbar. On a larger part, I usually bend the two straight sections of the flange from the sheet, then curve a section of flatbar, and weld it in the curved area, and fair everything smooth. On a little bitty part like that, I might just use the flatbar for the whole flange. 30 mins, tops.

Looks like the part the shop built for the OP will work just perfectly too. I actually like the blunt look they gave it. Bunch of ways to skin that cat.

My new boat is missing the same thing. I'm thinking of making one out of wood that extends back a ways to mount a t/m. I'll probably just paint it up. I made one for my old boat, but be sure to use nylock nuts or they WILL rattle loose!

Latest posts