1984 16' Bass Attacker Complete Rebuild

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Have decided to just go with the Moeller since it is specific to this application and meets the coast guard requirements. Cleaned up the old seat bases and orders replacement bushings
[ external image ]
The transom corner caps were pretty rough so I clamped them together and trimmed the broken/cracked stuff off to make them uniform
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Ended up building a new transom and entirely glassed it in
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Not much else to report except that I have been gaining seat time with the new Lincoln.
Started the day out like this
[ external image ]
Learned all about heat warpage
[ external image ]
Different cup sizes and argon flow rates
[ external image ]
Tried to get a little dirty with 1/16
[ external image ]
And had a major blow out
[ external image ]
But at the end of the day there was a little progress showing
[ external image ]

I’m almost disappointed it’s Christmas Eve and I know I’ll have little to no time to practice until Tuesday. Really having fun and with my medical/spinal issues I have found that sitting down to practice has been “bearable” so with all the time I have on my hands nowadays this might be the perfect way to pass the time and learn something useful.
Thanks for hanging with me through all this and Merry Christmas from the Olson Clan and hope everyone is happy and safe throughout this holiday season , God Bless !
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Got the refurbished fenders installed today, added some traction tape to the top of both
[ external image ]
Repurposed some of the floor framing that came out of the front deck originally. Cut the longer channels in half and now have several framing pieces that can be utilized for hatch layout and support.
[ external image ]
Ground the heads off the remaining rivets in the seat base area, so the deck will sit flush to the floor framing.
[ external image ]
Everything under the front deck will be welded solid and reinforced in several locations.
[ external image ]
Ran another tube up through the port side chine for extra wire runs. Everything that isn’t inside a pipe will be covered with conduit to prevent any rubbing against aluminum.
[ external image ]
Played around with several different rivet configurations
[ external image ]
Decided on 2 possibilities
[ external image ]
And then tested them out to see how they looked installed
[ external image ]
And the gripping ability
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Got the rear lower floor notched out for bilge pump mounting
[ external image ]
Played around with some layout options again
[ external image ]
Tried the 31 series batteries in different locations
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Got the Center deck reinstalled with a rubber membrane between the Aluminum deck and floor joists. Riveted down and it’s solid as a rock and very quiet !
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Started sanding on the inner hull today and prepping for the self-etching primer.
Put Dad to work with the electric sander
[ external image ]
While I hit the rear areas in the other side with a DA, wire brush and a good vacuum and acetone wipe down.
[ external image ]
A real light coat of the self-etching primer to see how it lays.
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Pulled the Center rear lower deck today and started cleaning up the metal , decided at the last minute on whim to use Bed liner on the hull area which will not be seen anyways .
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Worked extremely well and was a lot faster !!! As soon as this is set up I’m going to reinstall the flotation and then close this area in and start working on the battery location and the bilge pump mounting and wiring.
Have a HVLP sprayer en route to finish out the rest of the inside area etching primer and paint.
Also played around with some padding on the Center floor area to see how I liked it.
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

After drying overnight the Bedliner spray turned out fantastic on the rear lower deck. It almost has me wanting to do the entire inside hull in it.
[ external image ]
Last few days have been spent cleaning up the inside hull.
Had a “wish I woulda thought of that sooner” moment when I realized I had several old Hook & loop type DA sanding pads leftover.
[ external image ]
Just laid them on top of a 3m scotch-brite pad and trimmed with scissors
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
This works extremely well for cleaning and prepping large areas of aluminum very very fast with minimal damage to the surface. I just attached the DA pad to my cordless drills and went to town.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
We installed the console
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

The console is a little flimsy for my liking and I will be using his area in front to build a dedicated cooler which will strengthen the console also.
[ external image ]
Top view
[ external image ]
I was playing around with the windshield and IMO it is way too tall, almost reminds me of a center console type
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
So I’ll probably be trimming that down at some point, once I get the seats in place and positioned.
Went ahead and laid out the front deck and cut all my access holes
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Spent a couple hours just practicing my welding skills.
Hoping to start laying beads on this baby soon.
Going to work on closing in the transom area the rest of the week. Have to get some sheet bent and then it’s time to install the motor.

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Need to figure out where to install the new waterproof fuse block and get the battery trays framed out and installed today also.

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Got a double battery tray framed out and installed today. Going to play around with different securing techniques and for the moment there is one of those pads cut and installed below them but most likely will change it out to a thin rubber mat, glued in place.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Going to install this breaker and thinking of just gluing a piece of cutting board material to the inner storage walls and bolting it to that
[ external image ]
Went ahead and sealed up some of the front hull also.
[ external image ]

SeaFaring

Post by SeaFaring »

Beautiful work! You’re making great progress too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

SeaFaring wrote:Beautiful work! You’re making great progress too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you ! I’m just glad to be able to make some progress on this thing again, it’s been way overdue !!

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

We ended up getting a ton of work done today .
Stripped down the inside and outside of the original seat base/livewell and removed the old wooden lid and cut and installed a aluminum lid for it.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
I also will be adding some extensions to each side of the box that will mount to the hull sides and this area will now have 2 outside seats and one center jump seat that has the step up padding in the back which will be mounted to the center lid. This seat will flip up for storage.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Using he specs off of the gas tank I ordered I laid out the footprint for that on the rear floor and decide there will be some nice storage behind the seating area as well.
[ external image ]
Also as it turns out there is additional room under each seat for a storage compartment as well
[ external image ]
Got the piece set in for the rear splash well and will be getting this piece bent at a local shop as well as a few other pieces I need a metal brake for, going to take them all at the same time to save money/trips.
[ external image ]
Tried out a Fishing seat on the front deck and think there’s going to be plenty of room for a recessed TM tray
[ external image ]
Gas Tank, NOCO 3bank ,Edge trim and black cutting board type material are on the way.
Should be a busy week next week !

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Need to start designing the console area
[ external image ]
This is what was originally installed
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
I’m thinking of just cutting a 1/4” plate or even a diamond plate type pattern to mount the gauges/switches and steering wheel to.
Possibly another piece of cutting board material or I could even bite the bullet and use the leftover wood I have from the transom build.
What are y’all suggestions ?
I wonder if the difference in thickness between the old wood and the new aluminum plate would affect the mounting of the teleflex steering controls ?

Bob9863

Post by Bob9863 »

My 2c worth is metal beats wood every time.
Its stronger and longer lasting, the only reason I see to use wood is because you don't have the equipment to work metal, it seems you do so go with metal.