1984 16' Bass Attacker Complete Rebuild

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Bob9863 wrote:My 2c worth is metal beats wood every time.
Its stronger and longer lasting, the only reason I see to use wood is because you don't have the equipment to work metal, it seems you do so go with metal.
Yeah that’s definitely the way I feel about it but my worry was do I need 3/4-1” thickness there to make sure I can reuse the original steering control mounting hardware I guess ?
Didn’t know if I had to sandwich a 3/4 square aluminum tube between 2 pieces of aluminum plate to create the proper thickness for the steering control mounts?

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS »

FWIW, that part of my metal console the holds the steering bracket, switches, etc is backed by plywood. On the inside of course.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

LDUBS wrote:FWIW, that part of my metal console the holds the steering bracket, switches, etc is backed by plywood. On the inside of course.
That makes sense then. See I did an experiment today with the old rotting out dash plate and a new sheet of 1/8 5052 aluminum here’s the results
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

That’s what I was afraid of with the thinner dash plate.
So now I will have to beef that area up from the back side to make the steering wheel mount look halfway decent. Might add a piece of 1/2” cutting board material. I will be using a different steering wheel setup and may just have to buy a complete steering kit with cables (if they are available that way), instead of buying new cables and a steering wheel separately?
So today I worked on just framing out one compartment (the anchor & rope locker), trying to get an idea how I want the doors finished out. Looks like I’ll need to get some U or C type channel to also attached to stop the doors from falling inside and prevent rainwater from going directly into the compartments. This was very tedious work and I need to figure out an easier method , since there are several access holes that need lids made lol.
[ external image ]
Also cut and installed a dash plate
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Played around with some gauge locations
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Also wanted to add that with the new plate installed to the console it is very solid now. Worst case scenario I could add another 1/8 sheet to that one , doubling he thickness and some bracing in the rear to prevent any bending or flexing when pulling up with the steering wheel.
Or just find some 1/4” anyways since I have to make a TM mount and was going to use 1/4” for that.

Bob9863

Post by Bob9863 »

Most ally boats I know use a transom plate of some description, and/or a brace or some description.
That should be easy enough to do, a mate made his own transom out of 10mm ally plate.

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Bob9863 wrote:Most ally boats I know use a transom plate of some description, and/or a brace or some description.
That should be easy enough to do, a mate made his own transom out of 10mm ally plate.
That’s would probably do the trick for sure.

Bob9863

Post by Bob9863 »

It definitely did, he also had two triangular supports made of the same stuff going to the hull.
It was so he could put a 60hp on a 12ft tinny, I told him at the time it would probably kill him, but supprisingly hes still alive and kicking.
But damn, that little boat puts jet ski's to shame. :lol:

Prowelder

Post by Prowelder »

I just checked out your whole thread and all i can say is wow. You have some serious time in this thing. Years. I wish you were closer to me i could have helped you save tones of time with the metal work. I will say you got the job done one way or another tho. I've rebuilt 2 boats for myself and 6 for customers over the last couple years. If you get a second check out my tracker build. I definitely catered to my kids. 2 boys 7,4 and a girl 3. I used the best carpet and seats i could find. I also built a saftey rail that can be cut off later on down the road if need be. What are your plans for the interior?[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Prowelder wrote:I just checked out your whole thread and all i can say is wow. You have some serious time in this thing. Years. I wish you were closer to me i could have helped you save tones of time with the metal work. I will say you got the job done one way or another tho. I've rebuilt 2 boats for myself and 6 for customers over the last couple years. If you get a second check out my tracker build. I definitely catered to my kids. 2 boys 7,4 and a girl 3. I used the best carpet and seats i could find. I also built a saftey rail that can be cut off later on down the road if need be. What are your plans for the interior?[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]

Yeah unfortunately this has taken way longer than I ever imagined , I pretty much lost all of 2016 and the majority of 2017 !!
I won’t go into all the excuses/reasons but I would be lying if I didn’t say it was probably the hardest couple years we have had to endure.
The good news is I’m “somewhat” back to a normal routine now. I still have major medical limitations but no longer have to punch a time clock and as long as The Good Lord wills it, I have plenty of time to work on this beast. Image
Now all that craziness aside, I have been following your posts and very much enjoy them and have gotten a ton of ideas reading through them.
Lol, just this morning I talked to Mindy at R&R and ordered 3 hatch lids to see how they will work with my front deck.
Since I have so much time on my hands now I decided about 6 weeks ago I guess to buy a welder and learn how to TIG, I figured since I won’t be able to do much like I used to, I can pretty much sit and spend some time under the hood, which will also help me with this project and I’ll have another life skill to fall back on if it gets tough enough where I have to try and make a living again.
I practiced a couple hours today on my outside corner welds (to make my own dry boxes), this was my first attempt and surprisingly enough they turned out pretty decent! I went to a #8 Stubby gas lens and a 3/32 tungsten and with both 1/8 & 1/16 filler they turned out sweet but I got so excited that I tried to run a couple beads beside it and got it too hot lol. That’s been my biggest problem is heat control ! I’m starting to learn to feed filler pretty steady and been using my foot control more lately to taper off and things like that. I’ve been practicing like crazy and soaking up everything I can, every chance I get. I know it’s just going to take time lol.
And YES I wish you lived closer also LOL.
The interior is going to be painted and I was thinking of a non skid surface for the floor but I also have been considering that padding type material, I’m just undecided about that still lol. I’d like to do a Camo paint scheme but that’s still up in the air but may just go with Camo seat covers lol.
I want to put a “jump seat” in the middle of the two tempress frames , one of those was off my Ranger and another I bought from a local garage sale that came off a Stratos. Worked out perfect where I had 2 matching seat frames like this one has
[ external image ]
found a jump seat for the center that has a step pad built into the back when folded down similar to this
[ external image ]
I am going to get eventually.
I want to box in a insulated cooler in front of the console maybe with couple tool holder slots there for pliers and stuff.
On the port side wall I want to put a set of those newer type rod rack holders that swivel out of the way when not in use like in the newer aluminum, like this one on a Ranger RT188.
[ external image ]
The front bow area I wanted to do like the earlier renditions in this post but I think I may have to just stick to this type for simplicity in the welding process
[ external image ]unless my skills get better within the next 3 months.
If my doctors release me to fish again I am hoping for a April road test !!!! But will have to play that by ear and I am putting the front bow design off as long as possible lol.
My gas tank and NOCO charger will be here tomorrow, bilge pump on Thursday.
I have the fuse block,battery kill switch, TM breaker, a couple digital voltage gauges , LSS module and a bunch of other small items I need to figure out so hopefully I can start wiring everything up maybe tomorrow. Have a couple early doc appointments and then I got the rest of the day to work on it.
I need to fabricate a transom cap and install a plate to the rear for the motor to mount through. That’s all that’s holding up the motor being mounted back on it.
I’m going to attempt to bend a 90 on a 56” Long piece of 1/8 5052 and then hopefully I can weld the remaining piece to make a U channel and fit it to the transom since it’s 2 bends so close together ( 1 1/2” apart).
Tomorrow I am going to play around with bending some curves so I can build my own trolling motor tray but I want the curved front design much like some of the factory bass boats used to have.
I also need to find me some 1/4 to make a TM mount out of but have thought I could just weld 2 1/8 sections together if that would work. I have a lot of aluminum left but also been practicing a lot and it’ll probably go faster than I realized. I went below a 1000 on my argon bottle today lol. It’s going fast !!
Anyways I’m rambling brother ! Thanks so much for dropping by and can’t wait to see how your latest build turns out.
Last edited by Bigwrench on 11 Jan 2018, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Prowelder

Post by Prowelder »

That 5052 is going to be tricky to bend. It will probably crack. I use 3003 for everything. Its softer and bends easily. Get a thumb control for your welder. It makes it easier for tight spots. Good luck man

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Got several things accomplished today
Created a frame system for my new gas tank
[ external image ]
Fits like a glove
[ external image ]
Went old school GM on the strapping system and created these babies.
[ external image ]
Wrapped up nice and tight
[ external image ]
Matching pair
[ external image ]
Installed some foam padding to the tank frame and coated the inside
[ external image ]
Installed some J-Nuts
[ external image ]
Strap length is critical for this process and it turned out fantastic!
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Installed a starting battery tray and most likely will just weld up another aluminum like I did for the TM batteries up front but for now we can start running wires.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Stay tuned ! Many different things tomorrow to be updated.

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Well didn’t get as much done today as I wanted to.
Mounted the charger under the drivers seat.
[ external image ]
Still not 100% sold on it being here so may end up moving it again before the final teardown and paint and reassembly.
The way it is now I would have to make extension cables for the trolling motor battery charging leads.
Used a zebco 202 to make a mounting bracket for the bilge pump lol.
[ external image ]
Fit perfect lol.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Got the charger adaptor plug installed
[ external image ]

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench »

Made some changes and some progress lately.
Wired in a 220v drop for my welder and built an extension cord also
[ external image ]
We are HOT now Image
[ external image ]
Got the gas tank walls built and installed.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Cut out the area for the recessed TM tray
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Built a starting battery tray and hold down system.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Double battery tray for TM redo
[ external image ]
Welds getting better
[ external image ]
Installed
[ external image ]
Installed a tray liner in the bottom
[ external image ]
Preparing to weld up the double tray hold down bracket system.
[ external image ]
Relocated the 3 bank charger
[ external image ]
Relocated the remote 110v connector for the charger
[ external image ]
Cut out the fuse block mounting location
[ external image ]
Last edited by Bigwrench on 27 Jan 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Fire1386

Post by Fire1386 »

Enjoying watching this renovation Bigwrench, nice work!

PBRMINER

Post by PBRMINER »

Amazing Work!
Current Rig: 1978 Lund 315 Deluxe- Johnson Seahorse 35 / Motorguide Bow Mount/ Humminbird Helix5 GPS (Console) Lowrance X50DS (Bow)