Sad Morning for my Tin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinalski

Reaction score
Hi all
My name is Brian. This morning I awoke to a tell tree laying across my 10' tin. I sure coud use some advise on how to straighten it out. Or is it best destined for the recyclers? I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person on God's green earth. My little boat has much sentimental worth and I'd like to rescue if possible.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1396885792115.jpg
    1396885792115.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 1396885833617.jpg
    1396885833617.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 1,163
It looks so sad. Maybe a 3 pound no-rebound hammer and have at it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=347771#p347771 said:
pinalski » Today, 10:52 am[/url]"]Hi all
My name is Brian. This morning I awoke to a tell tree laying across my 10' tin. I sure coud use some advise on how to straighten it out. Or is it best destined for the recyclers? I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person on God's green earth. My little boat has much sentimental worth and I'd like to rescue if possible.
Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear, but it sounds like a good excuse to upsize. :)

Well, the good thing about aluminum is that it stretches.

However, in this case, the bad thing about aluminum is that it stretches.

In this instance, I'd guess it is never going to be flat-sided again, exactly.

Might check a metal-working shop, but I'd bet the cost would about equal to a 10' boat on CL.

Best wishes.

Should be covered by homeowners insurance..... hello prudential

It sure looks fixable to me.
NO HAMMERS!

Use a Come-along, a tree and some long boards or small trees.
Pull that side Rail in and the Rest will follow.

Maybe someone like me, fool enough to try and fix things like that, will buy it from you? :LOL2:

Best of both worlds, upgrade to a bigger tin and use that one as a planter (retains the sentimental value), I can see the pretty flowers now.
Tim

That's horrible!! I JUST cut down 4 dead pine trees between my driveway and the neighbors for fear they would eventually fall on my shed, vehicles or worst my boat. After seeing this I'm certainly glad I cut them down!!! Hopefully it all works out for you!!

Sad that it made it through all the freezing rain, ice, and broken limbs of winter just to get whacked by a limb in the spring. What part of Ark are you from?

That sucks...if it's covered under your home insurance policy, take the money and go shopping. Then beat that damage into submission. She will not be pretty, but I'll bet there will still be some life in it.

thudpucker said:
It sure looks fixable to me.
NO HAMMERS!

Use a Come-along, a tree and some long boards or small trees.
Pull that side Rail in and the Rest will follow.

Maybe someone like me, fool enough to try and fix things like that, will buy it from you? :LOL2:

I'm with you, except for the no hammers part, sure looks fixable. Or improvable anyway.

Start with big hammers and go smaller as it gets back into shape. Back it with wood while your beating on it and use dead blow hammers if you can.

Hi all.
Sorryfor the late repy. My employer frowns on cell use while on duty.
I appreciate all the fantastic responses. I live on Lake Conway in central Arkansas; on the "poor" side mind you. This little one is all i have. That being said i'll start looking for a mod v on cl.The repairs don't have to be perfect. I use my Tin to access the cypress and pads around my place. Sometimes i run a envinrude 4hp on it, but usuall just paddle around. Guess I'll go to harbor freight for a cheap come along.
Thanks again!

Well, the damage IS NOT THAT BAD. Take it to a car repair shop, have it straightened -as much as possible- and call it a day.

Im seeing the lower part is not bent, so it will float and go just as good as before.

soldering some reinforcement over the side rail, it would be as sound as possible.

If cost of straightening is more than 300 or 400 usd, sell it and upgrade. It hurts when you love those things, but they are still "THINGS" and things doesn't cry or feel bad when they get into other hands. :idea:

I'm with thudpucker, you need to draw the stress out of the metal and then use a hammer to coax the metal back into shape. If you go full hammer on it, I think you'll just be pushing the metal and it won't return to it's original shape. Also be sure to hammer against a backer board, a chunk of 4x4 or something similar.

If your home owners Ins. is like most of us the deductible will likely be $1000.00. My agent just informed me of this a few months ago.I have Nationwide.He said most of the Insurance companies are raising deductibles on every thing.Some are still around $500.00, to me that's a chunk of change any way you look at it. Good luck with your boat.

Latest posts