Jon boat stability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnt5

Reaction score
Been in the market for a 14ft jon for quite some time now and most of the ones I am seeing are mostly 39" and under on the bottom width. I would love a 1448 but May have to settle for a thinner jon, so how stable are the under 40" bottoms? I have two boys that will be fishing with me and I don't want the boat to be rocking too much.

I have a 16/44 and it barely tolerable with my two boys. My friend has a 16/52 and has a ton more room and is much better with his two boys. If I could do it over again, I would go as wide as I could find.

I too have been looking for a wide body 14 or 16.
Saw one on CraigsList that he said was a 1660.... that is FIVE feet wide .
next day, it was gone.
so now, I am wondering if there really is an older 1660...........
A new one is strictly out of my practical price range.

the wider - the gooder, IMO

I figured as much, guess I should hold out for wider hull. I did find a 1448 on cl but the guy wants almost a grand for an old flat bottom hull and and an undersized trailer with no motor. :shock: maybe I'm cheap but that seems high.

I've got a 1542 and while it's narrow it is tolerable. Usually my boys only go one at a time,because they like to fight, but when they can behave it's not too bad. I guess it's all just personal preference.

First boat I bought 2 years ago was a 1436 took it out a few times and 2 months later I bought a 1648. The 1436 felt like if each person leaned the same way you would both be swimming. Now the 1648 I can crawl all over every corner and never feel unstable but now it seems like once I load it with everything I " need " there is no room. So I'm looking again. The 1648 would be a little better if I knew a little more about what I was doing and didn't get the center seat model. It becomes a pain in the neck crawling over that a dozen times a day.

I've never had anything other than my 1248. Anything narrower and I'd be a little bit scared out on the lake. Back waters and ponds with a narrower boat, no problem. I'd keep saving, looking and make the drive if it is far to get at least a 48".

The wider - the gooder x2

Hold out for a wider boat, you won't be sorry. My first was a 1236 and after about a year I went to a 1448. It doesn't sound like much but what a difference. Two feet longer, a foot wider and sides 5" higher. Too many times minding my own business fishing and having to start the motor to turn into a wake made by some monstrosity coming by. Had the wake of one come over my bow once. That was all I needed to know...

With 3 people, especially with the 2 boys, I would want a 48" bottom for sure. I have a 16 /W a 54" bottom, and am loving it. I also fish out of a friends 14/48, and it is very stable.

Princecraft has wide bottom 12's and 14's.

Mine is a 12' Springbok (bought out by Princecraft quite a while ago) and it's 60" at the beam and 51" at the chine.

It's the Ungava model, which is what Princecraft still calls them.

Very stable little boat. Planes quickly with just my old 8 hp Johnson. 10-15 mph on plane, although thats a guess. Should take my gps with me next time I'm out.

Two big guys will hold it down off plane though, probably because I'm only running an 8 HP. Hull is rated for a 15 hp.

2-3 foot chop is no problem. cuts right though or planes from on to the other with very little pounding.

Draft is very little since it's so wide. Maybe 3 inches at the stern.

Worth a look at if a used one shows up.

I've had my 1542 Tracker for 3 years now and have been very impressed with how stable this boat is. I have bad sometimes wobbly legs from back problems and stability was a major concern for me. The Tracker is much more stable than my 16ft Alumacraft Bass Boat. Most weight in the Tracker is down low and makes a big difference. I'm 200lbs and can stand on the edge and the boat barely leans. Wider is more stable but will also be slower give equal HP due to the increase drag.

tnriverluver said:
I've had my 1542 Tracker for 3 years now and have been very impressed with how stable this boat is. I have bad sometimes wobbly legs from back problems and stability was a major concern for me. The Tracker is much more stable than my 16ft Alumacraft Bass Boat. Most weight in the Tracker is down low and makes a big difference. I'm 200lbs and can stand on the edge and the boat barely leans. Wider is more stable but will also be slower give equal HP due to the increase drag.

I flip off the factory front deck/seat of mine sometimes, I agree it is very stable. Of course me weighing 275# does tend to make the stern rise a bit.

I have a 16 56 , you want stability that's it , can get the whole family on one side with no issues , sits higher in the water ,jumps on a plane in a snap . three BIG adults no problem

Latest posts