jon boat drain plug tube bent would this replacment work?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragon2k9

Reaction score
[ok what I have is a bent drain plug tube.
I was wanting to replace it with a screw on type on the outside.
here is some pics just need to know if this would work and how do I install it?
Do i use 3m 5200 around it and on the screws ?
do i use any nuts?
thanks for the help

outside of bent drain plug where im going to use the replacement
100_1273.JPG[
the replacement
$(KGrHqF,!jkE8F-NPZZdBPM,FY5qO!~~60_57.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1271.JPG
    100_1271.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 795
i would be happy if someone had an easy way i could just seal it off and i would make a new one.Honestly as this point i would liek to just seal it up completely

Looks like you might be able get something round about the same size and rework the inside of the drain tube from the inside the boat. Doesn't have to be perfectly round then put the plug on inside of boat where you've got it roundest.
If that doesn't work, I've seen where someone got a threaded bushing that just fits the drain and JB welded it on the inside and then just used a threaded plug to unscrew in and out.

They sell aluminum tubes that you press in with a flange tool. Round out the old tube best you can and then press the new tube in. A little 3M 5200 around the edges and you will be good to go. Don't know what size drain hole you have but they have various sizes.

https://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/drain-tube-1od-x-1-7-8-aluminum-123529-/4,6792.html?gclid=CJKtupvRq78CFeXm7AodrV8Aiw

https://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/flanging-tool-for-drain-tube-1-123524-/4,6791.html?gclid=CIHHk6vRq78CFeXm7AodrV8Aiw

A couple easy ways to resize the tube. Sand a wooden broom handle down to size and after greasing it, wobble it around as you install it. Same thing with a 3/8" drive socket.

I'm not a big fan of plastic fittings on the bottom of the hull keeping the wet stuff out.

I used different size deep well socked and drove them in to open it up. Still not perfect but I can get a plug to seal. Works better if I plug from the outside.

I had the same problem on my 77 Monark 1648. I took a my deep socket set and started with the size that would just barely not go through. I took a ball peen hammer and a block of wood on a short extension, and drove it through. Then I took the next size and did it again. It took about 4 sizes to make the tube round and it works like a champ. If I had it to do again, I would add some sort of lube like dish washing liquid.

Latest posts