sludge in gas tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsnest4ever

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have another problem. My gas tank has sludge in the bottom. Is there any way to get that crap dissolved and flushed or do I just start saving my pennies for a new tank. Like I told y'all before, this is my first boat and motor, and my ingnorant butt didn't look in the tank. I just hooked it to my truck and left. I know I'm being a pest, but it seems that each time I go out there to do something, I find another problem that I don't know how to fix. BTW, I did find an operator's manual, but I can't justify $35.00 for a 20 page paper book.

Acetone works as does fuels with ethanol in it. Where toy dispose of it ... you're on your own, but I sure hope you won't pollute the environment. Could always put into some containers and let it evaporate ...

I have a place where I can dispose of the sludge. I am going to the service station to get some premium gas with ethanol and see if I can get it cleaned out. I thank you for your information, and will try to solve any other problems on my own.

is it all just sludge ?? or flaking rust and paint in the mix.
to do the best job, remove the fuel sender float........
personally, I like to add a cup of an engine degreaser such as purple stuff or simple green, etc, 1/2 gallon of water,
couple hand fulls of sharp rocks (not smooth pea gravel) and do the Goldy Two Step !
SHAKE - RATTLE - ROLL and knock all that loose stuff off and flush it out with fresh water.
then, come back and ad your question .

:WELCOME: to Water World

Thank you all for your suggestions. As far as I can tell, the sludge isn't too thick, but it's an old style metal tank, and there's a plastic something or other in there that I can't get to to remove, and I know acetone and possibly ethanol might damage it. Now if it's nothing to really worry about, then I'll take out the sending unit, and have a go at it. It also looks as though I may need a new gas line, but that I can get at the local wally world. Again, many thanks to all of you.

The sludge could actually be caused by the ethanol fuel, ethanol attracts water and it can become saturated in the fuel eventually separating out. Many older style fuel system are not compatible with ethanol ( alcohol) and rubber components and fuel lines will disintegrate causing lots of problems. The fuel additives that are available today do work and you should always put some into your fuel especially if the gas is going to sit for a few weeks or longer which is typical in a boat.

If you have rust in the tank use Phosphoric Acid and water to remove it. Like some others have suggested use some nuts, bolts, screws or small rocks with the acid and water and shake it to help clean it out. I have done this with motorcycle gas tanks with good success.

First off do the shake rattle roll and dump the old gas. If it's an older boat you should be using "real" gas in it. If you use ethanol mix you can do it but always make sure your carbs AND complete gas line is drained when you are done using it for the day. Ethanol sitting in the lines breaks them down internally and the goo goes right through the filter to stuff your carbs terribly. New lines are supposed to be alcohol compatible so if yours are stiff n cracky ditch them. Stabil sells a product they say makes ethanol gas ok but I find it's cheaper to just use ethanol free super.

I thank all of you for your input, especially about the gas. My motor is an EVINRUDE 6 hp. 1988. Since I don't know about these things is why I asked you folks. My thought(may be wrong), but I would presume that the newer type of gas would be acceptable to run in this motor as long as I used a quality oil. Please feel free to correct me if I'm having delusions of intelligence.

If the tank can come out of the boat then take it to a radiator shop. They can clean it spotless. Last time I did this was with a motorcycle tank. The cleaning and I actually had to have it lined was less than $100.

1988 is an old motor and it is not designed for the new ethanol fuel. it will work but, you will have issues with rubber and plastic components in the fuel system that are not up to date. not sure. If you can find non-ethanol then use that.

To surfman, and jethro, thanks for the information. I will check the radiator shops, and according to my eldest son, there are at least 3 gas stations in this area that sell NON ethanol fuel. In fact, he says that is all he can use in his lawn mower. Hmmm, could be why MY mower doesn't run that good. Anyway, I thank you all again.

I just checked my 1985 steel Merc tanks a few days ago, full of cruddy rusty mess. I had some not too cruddy vinegar sitting there so in it went. After a day they were pretty clean. A couple days later almost spotless. All I do is turn shake em then flip them around sitting on another side and leave them sit, and then do it again. I also have an ultra fine paint strainer funnel from an auto body supply . I just pour that vinegar back and forth between the tanks and a clean container tapping the crud that keeps getting caught in the screen out each time. By day 4 they are now nearly spotless. The vinegar did the trick just as well on the tank as it does on rusty bolts . Another couple days and they will be clean as a whistle. No big hurry for me as I am still cranking away on my big restoration (more like resurrection) project and it won't be in the water for a couple weeks. If you do use vinegar to clean tanks out be sure to dump it back in the jugs after and don't throw it out. It will still work fine for your next rusty project down the road.
You want to take a good look at your fuel hose (tank to motor). If it's old and stiff you probably should just get a new one. I picked one up off Fleabay last week for under $30 and just attached my existing tips. It's good insurance against plugging up your carb with debris from the ethanol gas the prior owner probably used. Also if you do have to use ethanol gas Stabil makes a fuel conditioner that they say negates the effects of ethanol. I'd still run the lines empty though if you do end up using ethanol though when you are done for the day.

Latest posts