Trolling motor shaft length

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shammer

Reaction score
Been Lurking for awhile, first post.

Just pulled the trigger on a Tracker 1542. I already have a transom mount trolling motor with a 36" shaft that I plan to reverse and use on the bow. My question is will it be long enough. It is almost brand new and I don't really want to buy another one if i don't have to.

Thanks

I will post pictures when I get the boat and as I complete my build.

Shammer

It will probably be close. Depends on how the boat sits and how many people you have in. My boat with me at the front has no problem with a shorter trolling motor on bow. It might even be the same for you and work fine.

Be careful with your motor mount and keep it as low on the gunnel as possible. My bow on a semi v is high but the prop on comes out of the water with passing boat wakes.

shammer said:
Been Lurking for awhile, first post.

Just pulled the trigger on a Tracker 1542. I already have a transom mount trolling motor with a 36" shaft that I plan to reverse and use on the bow. My question is will it be long enough. It is almost brand new and I don't really want to buy another one if i don't have to.

Thanks

I will post pictures when I get the boat and as I complete my build.

Shammer

I used a MK with a 36" shaft that I reversed the head on for the bow on my 1448. I had a low deck and worked fine. Might be a little low if your deck is the height of your benches (if standing, seated should be fine).

I have a SeaArk 1542 with same shaft length. As others have said, keep your mount as close to gunnel as possible. My mount is about 5 inches higher and the trolling motor is barely clearing it for me. if i'm trolling through some waves and the boat is bouncing, the 36inch shaft is defn not enough.

Latest posts