New fuel tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attwanl

Reaction score
Just put in my new fuel tank, I had a plastic one bungied to the seat up to move the weight up front. But it was always seemed to be in the way, or coming loose.
Did some trading with a guy and he made a tank for me.
To give credit were it is do.... The whole design is his idea, he put one in his Jon, his has fuel gauge, water separator, drain, so his more tricked out.
The space under that seat was wasted space anyway, nothing stayed there. It was pretty easy to put in, hardest part was cutting the whole and keeping it straight. Some rubber pieces under the tank, some spray foam, a couple of bolts. Most of the fittings I robbed off my old tank.
Thought I'd share this with everyone, can't wait to go out and have the extra room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 756
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 756
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 756
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 756
That's flipping awesome.
You just got a custom $200 tank for barter.
Luck b@$&ard.

The only issue I see is the fuel outlet at the bottom of the tank. It's not coast guard approved. If the fuel line gets damaged in any way your going to be sitting in a boat full of highly flammable liquid. Can the fuel pickup be moved to the top of the tank and the lower outlet welded shut?

AWESOME job for sure.

But, 2smknbrls isn't trying to take away anything when he says . . .
The only issue I see is the fuel outlet at the bottom of the tank is not coast guard approved.
It is an issue that you should look into. Your life and the safety of your passengers
may be at risk should anything go wrong on that perfect day of being on the water.
And I sort of agree with him. . . . just put some thought into it - your call.

No feelings hurt here. I welcome other peoples input. That's why I'm on this forum. I've got a lot of great ideas from here and even learned what not to do from people posting their mistakes on here too.

I did put a quick disconnect on the tank so if the fuel line gets damaged you can disconnect it from the tank and it shuts off fuel flow by a check valve. But I don't have anything to protect the check valve from getting broke off, was going to make a cover ifor it with enough to room still get to disconnect if needed.
I didn't know of a coast guard appoved position of outlet of fuel rule, just a check valve was required. Hhmmmm?? I will check into that before I put fuel into it. Might have to go back to the drawing board.
Thanks for the advise

That's a vent, it's at the highest point of the tank or the shallowest with the angle of the tank. He put that in because he used a non-vented gas cap. But I could put a piece of copper tubing in there bent to the same angle of the tank to get it all the to the bottom. I will just have to vent the tank another way.

I like it, only I would have made the front deck larger so that I can stand on it and that would have protected the outlet connector too. But I like to stand and fish a lot of the times.

Would there be a concern that the fuel will get aerated bouncing around? I see what my bow mount trollingmotor goes through on a trip across open water. Just wondering.

onthewater102 said:
That's really clean looking - how many gallons does it hold?

Thanks, it holds a little over 4gal,

surfman said:
I like it, only I would have made the front deck larger so that I can stand on it and that would have protected the outlet connector too. But I like to stand and fish a lot of the times.
I thought about decking it all but it is only a 12/36, I'll just stand in the bottom.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Would there be a concern that the fuel will get aerated bouncing around? I see what my bow mount trollingmotor goes through on a trip across open water. Just wondering.
river bottom outdoors.... I've never had a problem with aerating the fuel, but I've watched your video and I've probably haven't been is as rough of stuff that you put your boat through. LOL so I can't really answer that.

I think there area few of us as rough on our boats as RBOutdoors! I cringe just watching his GIF

Johnny said:
There ya go !! problem solved.
I personally would not want any kind of outlet at the bottom of a fuel tank.
I would, however, like to have that threaded hole with a plug in it for cleaning
and dumping old gas.
But, that is just me.

Happy and SAFE boating to ya !!
You know I haven't really thought about it before this but. If the tank is in the bow, which is typically elevated, and the line runs along the floor, what's to stop the fuel from siphoning out, if the fuel line is damaged/leaking, regardless of whether it's connected at the top or the bottom of the tank. It's just gonna run a little slower from the top maybe.

I small slow leak is not the issue it's if the fitting on the tank cracks then you have a large fast leak you can't control.

Latest posts