Gas tank question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt1972

Reaction score
So whenever my plastic 6gal gas tank gets below 1/2 to a 1/3 of a tank the motor starts cuttung out. I thought the pick up tube might have a hole in it that was sucking air as the fuel level dropped. Pulled it apart tonight and the is not a hole/crack in it. Anyone had this problem before? And just to clarify, the vent is open and there is no water in the tank. Fuel filter is new and the water seperator has been drained, it makes no difference. It only happens when the tank get low.

might check out the fuel pump, what kind of motor do ya have? A lot of them are vacuum diaphram. Although it seems it would have trouble pulling the fuel from a full tank as well. I with you on the crack or whole in the pickup tube.

Had something very similar happen to me once. I also discovered that if I would put the tank up on the bench with me (raise the tank) the issue went away. Long story short, the o-ring in the fuel connector at the engine was worn and when the pump pulled hard enough, it would suck air in. Raising the level of the tank/fuel let it draw the fuel into the pump easier, (sort of like siphoning). Solution in my case was to replace the o-ring but yours could be similar or a just a weak fuel pump. Hope that helps or at least gives you some ideas of things to check.