Media blasting a tin?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20022

Reaction score
I've got a line on a tin and might just get It. I really want to try and skip all the sanding and stuff because I work to much and don't have the time. Plus cool weather is finally here so fishing is prime. Can a tin be blasted without warping the metal? I plan to take it to a shop and have it blasted, then I'll paint it. Thanks!

You would have to go visit your media blasting shop in person and explain your issues.
to answer your question, yes, a tin boat can be media blasted with soda or a number of
other products such as pecan shells, glass bead, etc etc etc
or, a gallon of paint remover can do just as well - and much cheaper.

jus my Dos Centavos

I am with you. Have it blasted and move on to paint. Will come out nice and clean. Get it done and fish on!

Chemicals are not nice to deal with and would take forever and still need to be cleaned in the joints and stuff. I don't like the idea of chemicals on aluminum either.

Soda blasting or crushed walnut shells works very well from all that I've seen and reduces the chances of distorting the aluminum. Though from what I've heard from others it can get pricey.

I have been using some orange citrus stripper as of late and it works pretty well and isn't as harsh as normal stripper. It is also a bit less expensive.

Good luck and show us some pictures!

Got a quote of $150 to get the boat blasted using glass. I'm fine with that since I'll just be painting it anyhow. That will give me time to check for leaky rivets :)

Texas Prowler said:
Got a quote of $150 to get the boat blasted using glass. I'm fine with that since I'll just be painting it anyhow. That will give me time to check for leaky rivets :)

That is a great price. I'm mostly done wirebrushing a small boat and wish I'd had that option open to me.

Congratulations.

Texas Prowler said:
Is that inside and outside ? I was quoted $350 to do inner and outer hull on my 16' Bass Attacker rebuild so I wire brushed the outer hull myself , I had just paid him about that for the Trailer so had to improvise :) If that's for the entire hull that is a great deal ! I plan on letting them do the inside hull still since I don't wanna take it apart again and try and fix any leaks once its done so I think its gonna cost me $175 just to do the inside ( I have a blaster but just doesn't work very well , may practice with it some more though and give it another go)
Cant wait to follow your build ! Good Luck

Yea sorry should of said it's just the outside. That's all I care about on this one. The inside isn't bad. The outside needs a color change

I'll roll and brush on some white enamel on the inside. All but the floor is painted white it looks to be in ok shape, but could use a good clean up. What paints are you guys using? For some reason i can't find the paint thread while using my phone.

Latest posts