What do you guys feel about

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinasled

Reaction score
Buying boats with no titles? I run across abunch of non title owned boats on craigslist. Mostly jon boats. I want a Jon boat project. Have any of you guys bought one and got a title? Would you fill out the abandoned form out at the dnr? I just found a 17ft jon on our craigslist for $150. Not to bad, But if I'm wasting my time, Then I dont want to purchase it.

Thanks, Ryan

Attachments

• 01010701151001161420080619aed3b149bc43a2c00b00507b.jpg
    01010701151001161420080619aed3b149bc43a2c00b00507b.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,302
  • 0115000116100104032008061931025edf6d108136a0003e48.jpg
    0115000116100104032008061931025edf6d108136a0003e48.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2,303
Ryan,
Seems a little tough in South Carolina.

He is selling it as is with no title, so I assume he would not go through the legwork to get a title. Maybe you can say it was always yours but you lost the title?

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/registration.html

What's your state law say?

Here in Indiana, a boat title isn't required for boats under $3K.

Most of the alum boats I see on craiglist around here don't have them.

We have the option to title it, but only have to register it.

Maybe since you're thinking about rebuilding the boat you could go the route of getting a registration for a home built boat. Maybe there would be less red tape and expense going that route. I know the trailer that came with my boat didn't have a tag or registration so I just said that i had a home built trailer that i needed to title. (i did have some modifications to it so technically it's part home built :^o :twisted: ) Who's going to really going to care, so long as the state gets there cut and they can keep track of what you have should really be all that matters IMHO. Good luck, for 150 bucks i'd be all over that boat like a monkey on a banana. :lol:

That boat does look nice for 150 bucks.
If he never titled it and used it all the time,ah never mind,you probably be like me and get caught,get a fine and loose the boat.Still looks good for 150 though.

I haven't yet bought a boat with a title. Ga doesn't require them. :D

I wouldn't push anything in S. Carolina. Seems the DNR (or whatever they have) likes to gain revenue with nitpicky details.

Maybe buy and resell in Ga, or another state that doesn't require titles (moneymaking potential).

How hard is it to register as homebuilt? With trailers in Ga, it is actually simpler than transferring the old ownership. Not sure about boats or trailers in SC.

i dont know the laws in sc but al you dont need a title but last year in fl i bought a 16 foot sea ark without a title took it home deck it ,painted it ,carpet it,put in a new console ,new motor trolling motor. went to dmv applied for a home built boat title they gave me a regristation .went home put on numbers fished it twice then about a week later a game warden came to my house to do a boat inspection mandatory in fl on home built boats of 16 feet or longer he told me it wasnt home built and he could take me to jail made me sell the boat so just check you local laws

HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA WE REGISTER JON BOATS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN TITLED AS HOMEMADE MOST OF THE TIME! IF YOU CALL THE STATE WILDLIFE ASSOCIATION AND TALK TO SOMEONE THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL...I THINK YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO FILL OUT A VL-1 FORM AND HAVE A NOTORIZED BILL OF SALE WHICH YOU CAN DO AT A BANK OR CHECK CASHING PLACE MAIL IT IN AND BAM 3-4 WEEKS LATER YOU'LL GET YOUR STICKER...REMINDER THAT THIS IS IF THEY HAVE NEVER TITLED IT

Funny thing is the DMV does all trailers, and SC doesn't require anything, no tag or inspection. Broken lights, no problem, only required at night. Hey, we don't even have inspections on our cars.

IndyBassin said:
Here in Indiana, a boat title isn't required for boats under $3K.

That $3K price is when the boat was new, not what it sells for used :wink:

ST

Thanks guys for all the info. I passed on the boat. Still looking..... I have thought about building the duckhunter from gatorboats.com but then again will see.

I found another one here. 79 duracraft 14'6" with trailer for $250. The boat is registered and titled to a man that is passed away. Dont really know the ropes of this but I might give the scdnr a call tommorrow to see how that works. If not I might just save up and buy me a new welded jon the middle of winter and work on it from there.

Someone has to sign the paperwork, the Executor of this estate most likely.

ST

I live in SC.I called DNR and told them I have a boat with no title and the hull identification plate has fade out to the point that it can't be read.They told me to down load the application for a new hull identification number,follow the directions that are with the application,get it notarized,and send a $40 money order in with it.I was also told not to guess on the application.If there is no manufactures name that can be read mark it as unknown.I just sent mine off this passed wednesday.You can also claim it as an old boat if it doesn't have an hull ID plate.I talk to my local lake game warden.He is the one that helped me.Once you get your Hull ID plate,you can send off for a title.Any boat dealer can give you an application for title.Just asks nicely.I'll keep you guys updated on how things work out.You also need to be aware that DNR may send someone out to inspect and/or watch you attach the hull ID plate.Lake wardens check boats all the time where I live.They are looking for correct paper work and 2 stroke motors.Most of the time they inspect you before they allow you into the ramp area.Sux but it's an enviromental protection issue. :roll:

Waterwings said:
...They are looking for correct paper work and 2 stroke motors...

What happens if you have a 2-stroke on your rig?

You're asked to leave and/or fined if you're caught on the water.You can be banned from the lake if you're caught more than once.Usually you go thru an inspection area first before getting to the ramp.There they just ask you to leave and give you a copy of the new rules and regs.If you live on the lake and your boat is registered to the lake before the date of the new regs,you would be grandfathered in.Anyone that doesn't live on the lake has to have a 4 stroke.It sux so bad,because I just had a 5hp Gamefisher given to me last night.

carolinasled said:
I found another one here. 79 duracraft 14'6" with trailer for $250. The boat is registered and titled to a man that is passed away.

The boat is already registered & titled......I wouldn't try illegally side-stepping that to falsify getting a different set of numbers for the boat just to save some foot/paperwork.

ST

Latest posts