what kind of wood on a jon boat project?

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
uncndl1

Post by uncndl1 »

Have you considered the plywood that is in between Marine and regular Exterior as far as price?
https://www.uslumberinc.com/hdo.html
It seems that many people here are using this product. From reading, I think you will still want to seal the cut edges with something.
1970 Wards sea king Aluminum & 1999 Johnson 15 hp 2 stroke
Length 13' 10", Beam 62"
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39891&start=0

riverbud55

Post by riverbud55 »

momule wrote:Why don't you do it right and stay with aluminum? You know you should and you'll regret it if you don't.
I wouldn't say that aluminum is the ""right"" way to do it for everybody,, myself I would never have a aluminum floor , to hot in the summer and to cold in the winter drop a 1oz sinker sounds like ya set off an atomic bomb ,,, trust me if I wanted a aluminum floor I would have one seeing I own a sheet metal fab shop,, my North River came with vinyl covered MDO, had to pull a section up not long back and looks new front and back after near 10 years ,,,, I would look at mdo or hdo,,,,, the one thing about vinyl gets slicker then snot when wet , gets real bad with flathead catfish slime,, problem solved with some cheep bath/kitchen rugs from walmart
"YoBud"--------Dale Miller

grover

Post by grover »

From what I'm reading it sounds like MDO or HDO plywood is the way to go. The local Menard's has 1/2 inch MDO at $50 a sheet. It may not even need coating so that is a plus. I wonder if painting or treating with some Thompson's would be enough. I guess sealing it with epoxy resin would further insure weatherproofing.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

You can ix up your own sealer from 1 part boiled linseed oil 1 part spar varnish or urethane and 2 parts mineral spirts.
On another boat site it's called the Old Timers Formula and it is used quite often to seal exterior grade plywood with great results.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

-CN-

Post by -CN- »

richg99 wrote:Yep, re marine grade vinyl. I am using \/this\/ stuff.

Now, it is NOT as "fluffy" or thick as their picture makes it appear. I am happy with it. I put it directly over 1/4 exterior plywood, which was mounted on top of thin aluminum flooring, which has Blue Foam under it.

I could send a scrap to anyone who wanted to see it up close. richg99

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?p ... 2&id=23772
I've seen many new boats that come with a mystery surface on their decking from the factory. I've always wondered what it was, figured it was some sort of spray-on like a bedliner, but it is smoother than a bedliner, and looks exactly like the "Shark" or the "Storm Gray" colored marine vinyl shown in your link. I wish I'd known about it before I did carpet!