Removable boat floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtrouttracker

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be install nautolex vinyl over 3/4 spar treated ply in my 16' Blue Fin and I may want to remove the boards at a later time. So I'm thinking of fastening them to the frame with stainless screws. Has anyone done this in the past that has suggestions on which screws to use and the spacing? The existing framing on the boat is pressure treated 1x and it seems to be in good shape. My concern is how the floor will look with tons of screws throughout, if anybody has any pics I'd love to see.

njtrouttracker said:
Hi, I'm going to be install nautolex vinyl over 3/4 spar treated ply in my 16' Blue Fin and I may want to remove the boards at a later time. So I'm thinking of fastening them to the frame with stainless screws. Has anyone done this in the past that has suggestions on which screws to use and the spacing? The existing framing on the boat is pressure treated 1x and it seems to be in good shape. My concern is how the floor will look with tons of screws throughout, if anybody has any pics I'd love to see.

First off I would loose any pressure treated wood. Pressure treated wood and aluminum do NOT play well together. Also using flush SS screws to fasten the floor down you shouldn't have to worry about anything bulging up. Since the floor will be covered with the vinyl it won't matter about any screws showing in the wood.
Good luck

I don't know how you are going to put the vinyl down after the floor is screwed down if you are planning on wrapping the edges with it which is the best way to do it.

I installed a Nautolex floor in my build and after gluing the vinyl to the floor I just laid it in place. Nothing screwed down. Then I built the rest on top of it so its not going anyplace. This way if I had to take the floor up for any reason it would be easier, and also to avoid putting screws through the floor itself

I suppose if you are not installing anything on the floor then yes you would have to screw it down. But I would still put the vinyl on first and wrap it around the edges.

I have pics of it in my build in my signature

thanks

My buddy put Nautolex down on his last 2 boats and I'm in the processes of doing mine now. We glued the Nautolex down on the main (flat part) of the floor, worked out all the bubbles and let it dry over night. Then we glued the edges and about 2" onto the back of the floor and then used SS staples to help hold the back. Then we installed the floor in the boat w/ #12x1" SS pan head screws right through the nautolex. You don't need many screws. We measured them so it looks better but you don't have to get that crazy.

Right, pressure treated wood and aluminum don't mix, I forgot. I guess I'll be pulling out what the previous owner did.

Basically my thought was to wrap the edges of the ply with the vinyl, then attach it to the framing. I guess if you were able to just lay the floor in place then I won't get crazy with the screws

njtrouttracker said:
Right, pressure treated wood and aluminum don't mix, I forgot. I guess I'll be pulling out what the previous owner did.

Basically my thought was to wrap the edges of the ply with the vinyl, then attach it to the framing. I guess if you were able to just lay the floor in place then I won't get crazy with the screws

what are the rest of your plans? Are you going to build something on top of it so it would hold the floor in place?

If not then you would need to attach it

Latest posts