Hovercraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here ever own a Hovercraft or even rode on one? I may miss the boat on one that is lightly used and for sale as I'm not ready to buy just yet, but I need something that will be soft riding for my bad back and ran across one for sale that peaked my interest.

It holds 3 people goes about 100 miles on 6 gals of gas per the seller, is easy to trailer and should work well on a river. Top speed reported to be 40-45 mph.

Just wondering what the real deal is with them, why they are not popular etc. If you cut the engine it floats so you can fish or nap so what's the deal?

Pah! Hovercraft. Been across the English Channel in one several times. What you really need is a FLYING hovercraft......https://hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2
flying-hovercraft-01.jpg

stinkfoot said:
Pah! Hovercraft. Been across the English Channel in one several times. What you really need is a FLYING hovercraft......https://hovercraft.com/content/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2
flying-hovercraft-01.jpg

I think that's a wig (Wing in ground effect) This type hovvers but at speed will lift from the water and fly about 3' above it, the best part is it's ruled as a boat not a plane, but they are also expensive.

Back to the topic please, anyone have a hovercraft or opinion on them?

No, it's actually a hovercraft with added wings. You can take the wings off and use as a normal hovercraft. There is a guy local to me with one who is currently looking for waterfront storage for it.
But you are correct that it uses Bernoulli's Principle to fly.
Here's a hovercraft specific site with a ton of useful info.https://www.hovercrafter.com/index.php

Yes the Chunnel put paid to the cross channel hovercraft and it was very weather dependent. Not a comfy ride in rough weather and capacity for vehicles was not there like the fast ferries. The reality is that a hovercraft is a pretty crappy boat and also not a great flying machine. They also use a lot of fuel, are noisy and uncomfortable.
Advantages:

1) Amphibious (able to travel on water or land)

2) Easy maintenance

3) Efficient

4) Fast

5) Can drive in almost all conditions (e.g. Ice, snow, etc)

Disadvantages:

1) Bad turning capabilities

2) Dangerous on steep ground

3) Cant drive on rocky ground

4) Noise

5) Not economical fuel wise

Our Coast Guard uses them here in Vancouver for fast rescue. They also like to drive it up on the local nudist beach for a spot of sightseeing.....

Crazyboat said:
Anyone here ever own a Hovercraft or even rode on one? I may miss the boat on one that is lightly used and for sale as I'm not ready to buy just yet, but I need something that will be soft riding for my bad back and ran across one for sale that peaked my interest.

It holds 3 people goes about 100 miles on 6 gals of gas per the seller, is easy to trailer and should work well on a river. Top speed reported to be 40-45 mph.

Just wondering what the real deal is with them, why they are not popular etc. If you cut the engine it floats so you can fish or nap so what's the deal?

Yes had a Scat. Worst toy ever.

Fun for about a afternoon then you realize it's super loud, can't maneuver like you thought and doesn't go as fast as you see on tv. Unless you have a clam day on the water they are useless. Forget driving in tall grass, rough water, up hill, windy days, pavement. Oh and anywhere you go with it every old crazy guy will come and talk to you and ask every stupid question imaginable about it.

Just don't do it unless you get it for free. :)

Jim said:
All I want is one afternoon with one! :LOL2:
Well you've got the duration right. Several years ago I spent an afternoon playing around with a little 2 man version. Not sure what brand it was but a guy I know showed up at the local airport with one. We all took turns running it around the airport. Noisy doesn't begin to describe it. And forget about precision when it comes to turning or stopping. It's interesting for about an hour, after that you start to realize all the drawbacks to using one of them to do much of anything.

Crazyboat said:
Skipjack, thanks for the info, you may have saved me 10K.

I found a YouTube video of the one I posted doing short hops on a frozen lake in Minnesota. Looked like a really scary accident waiting to happen and the lack of control was very evident.[youtube]URhF9HlhHaE[/youtube]

Looks to me like it needs a bit more wing, with ailerons in the trailing edges. I suspect he's trying to control all of it with just a rudder and elevator. Could also be getting some "torque steer" out of the engine/prop torque.

Roger

Well, the company website says it will 'hop' over 20 foot obstacles....I assume using the throttle at full power. You go first, I'll watch......

I think they are similar to air boats in the noise department, maybe not as bad but noisy none the less.

Crazyboat said:
Here's a clip with a better operator and a calm day.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqxygnJIQVo
Looks like fun but the type of places I fish you just aren't getting in there with that. Just not steerable with enough precision to be safe. How about this one? My oldest friend in the UK had one of these(minus the hovercraft part). It was a lot of fun if a bit underpowered. How would you like to be on the same landing strip as this one? [youtube]pGNqRKv4zbc[/youtube]

I would be wary of dipping that wing into the water or catching it on a snag. If it was a gusty day, could be quite hard to handle. Maybe the OP should consider a jet boat.

Latest posts