How old is your tin boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1959 Smith Craft that is a work in progress.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I have a '79 Starcraft that is NO WAY the oldest here, but I must say ... I see more old Lonestars here and on the water. They must have used a really ductile 'tin' alloy, as I don't see a history of popping seams or degrading rivets with them, as I do on newer boats.

... so what drove Lonestar out of business :?: ?

Mine is a 1976/2017 Lund S-14. Mid 80's Mariner 30 horse, MinnKota Maxxum 74 with a recessed pedal tray, Humminbird 859 at the bow and Humminbird 999 at the helm. Runs 28 mph and will store 9 rods up to 7'-10" long in the rod box along with 4 adult life jackets and 25 Plano 3700 boxes with ease. Maintaining all of the flotation foam from the factory plus a little extra.

34988497955_068262cce5_c.jpg

34988498045_dd6b250008_c.jpg

A 1971 Wards Sea King 1436 jon and a 1968 StarCraft Falcon runabout.

1965 Rich Line M15 (14'2"X48") & 2006 Tohatsu 4 Stroke outboard.

Attachments

• 18671575_1479215278807314_3147190722887683458_o.jpg
    18671575_1479215278807314_3147190722887683458_o.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,521
1953 Alumacraft 16' K with a 53 Scott Atwater 7.5 hp :

DSC01614.JPG

1957 Alumacraft Deep C with a 1958 Johnson 18 hp:

IMG_1288.JPG

Older one's along with canoes were sucked up when scrap aluminum was high. People would buy boats for 1/2 of what it would scrap for with no intentions of using it for a boat. Theft was also a problem. Old tins sitting against garages or in yards would be carried off for quick cash. Perect boats especially canoes got cut up and scraped. Thank the Unions for running the price up and thank the Russians for flooding our markets with cheap aluminum and saving what was left of the boats. One of the reasons I despise you farktards that hack up these old boats into stupid carpet covered paricle board POS conversion wannabe bass boats. If you have a reasonable condition older tin then save it. They perform as good or better than the new stuff anyway. If you want a bass boat then buy one and stop hacking up the heirloom quality older boats that are left.

DaleH said:
I have a '79 Starcraft that is NO WAY the oldest here, but I must say ... I see more old Lonestars here and on the water. They must have used a really ductile 'tin' alloy, as I don't see a history of popping seams or degrading rivets with them, as I do on newer boats.

... so what drove Lonestar out of business :?: ?

My father had a Lonestar. I'm not sure of the model. It was a good size, I'm guessing 16' or 18'. It had portholes, a hatch in the bow, and a hardtop (what I would call a sedan top). White hull and blue decks. We spent a lot of great time on that boat. I wish it was still in the family.

Stumpalump said:
One of the reasons I despise you farktards that hack up these old boats into stupid carpet covered paricle board POS conversion wannabe bass boats. If you have a reasonable condition older tin then save it. They perform as good or better than the new stuff anyway. If you want a bass boat then buy one and stop hacking up the heirloom quality older boats that are left.

I am guessing that this was somewhat pointed in my direction. And personally I take great offense to it. My grandfather handed my boat down to my dad, and then my dad to me when I saved enough to buy a working motor for it. I spent years and years fishing in the boat in its old original form. I would have to load all of the gear in at the launch ramp and have it strewn all about the floor while fishing, causing trip hazards in an already small and not quite stable boat. Then of course after a day on the lake, unload everything from the boat and back into the truck so it wouldn't blow out driving down the highway. This plugged up the launch ramps and was a pain in the butt. Again, once I got home I had to unpack the truck and put everything away in the garage. A heck of a lot of time invested in just moving stuff that I really don't need to nor want to move that frequently. Now all of that gear that I use or don't use during any given trip is tucked neatly away, and I have a nice level platform free of clutter to fish from.

Someday I will buy a bass boat, but I can't right now. I spent a solid 500 bucks remodeling my boat this spring. The remodel project not only made the boat a hell of a lot more functional, but it was therapeutic as well. I can't spend a whole lot of cash on a bass boat right now as my wife just retired at 40. I say retired, but really it was because she was tired. Tired from chemo to help prolong her life after being given 12-18 months to live as cancer eats away. I was planning to buy a bass boat this year, but my plans changed in a hurry. I have priorities, and I have hobbies. Fishing is a hobby, my wife's health and well being are a priority.

So yep, I am a farktard who should just go buy a bass boat instead of wrecking a perfectly good tin.

Stumpalump said:
Older one's along with canoes were sucked up when scrap aluminum was high. People would buy boats for 1/2 of what it would scrap for with no intentions of using it for a boat. Theft was also a problem. Old tins sitting against garages or in yards would be carried off for quick cash. Perect boats especially canoes got cut up and scraped. Thank the Unions for running the price up and thank the Russians for flooding our markets with cheap aluminum and saving what was left of the boats. One of the reasons I despise you farktards that hack up these old boats into stupid carpet covered paricle board POS conversion wannabe bass boats. If you have a reasonable condition older tin then save it. They perform as good or better than the new stuff anyway. If you want a bass boat then buy one and stop hacking up the heirloom quality older boats that are left.
You gotta quit holdin back so much and just tell us what ya really think!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My current one is a 16 ft '89 Lowe Jumbo v hull. My first boat was a 14 ft v hull and best I remember it was a Lone Star. The only thing I remember for sure are the braces under the benches that formed Vs or maybe Ws. They were just wide enough that I could slide my legs under em in my sleeping bag. I'd take it to Buggs Island and drop anchor in a cove at night and wake up at dawn and start casting. I was a lot thinner and more brave back then.

1950 Feather Craft Fire Fly
1951 Alumacraft Model R
1952 Feather Craft Flyer
1952 Feather Craft Flash
1954 Feather Craft Deluxe Runabout

.....and a few newer boats.

TDobb said:
Stumpalump said:
One of the reasons I despise you farktards that hack up these old boats into stupid carpet covered paricle board POS conversion wannabe bass boats. If you have a reasonable condition older tin then save it. They perform as good or better than the new stuff anyway. If you want a bass boat then buy one and stop hacking up the heirloom quality older boats that are left.

I am guessing that this was somewhat pointed in my direction. And personally I take great offense to it. My grandfather handed my boat down to my dad, and then my dad to me when I saved enough to buy a working motor for it. I spent years and years fishing in the boat in its old original form. I would have to load all of the gear in at the launch ramp and have it strewn all about the floor while fishing, causing trip hazards in an already small and not quite stable boat. Then of course after a day on the lake, unload everything from the boat and back into the truck so it wouldn't blow out driving down the highway. This plugged up the launch ramps and was a pain in the butt. Again, once I got home I had to unpack the truck and put everything away in the garage. A heck of a lot of time invested in just moving stuff that I really don't need to nor want to move that frequently. Now all of that gear that I use or don't use during any given trip is tucked neatly away, and I have a nice level platform free of clutter to fish from.

Someday I will buy a bass boat, but I can't right now. I spent a solid 500 bucks remodeling my boat this spring. The remodel project not only made the boat a hell of a lot more functional, but it was therapeutic as well. I can't spend a whole lot of cash on a bass boat right now as my wife just retired at 40. I say retired, but really it was because she was tired. Tired from chemo to help prolong her life after being given 12-18 months to live as cancer eats away. I was planning to buy a bass boat this year, but my plans changed in a hurry. I have priorities, and I have hobbies. Fishing is a hobby, my wife's health and well being are a priority.

So yep, I am a farktard who should just go buy a bass boat instead of wrecking a perfectly good tin.

I DO NOT THINK HIS POST WAS DIRECTED AT YOU AT ALL.

Your boat is hardly a vintage boat. also, you did an incredible job on it - not a hack by any means. I like the nice clean look you got going.

Finally, it your boat - do whatever you want with it. I think boats are meant to get you to the fish and that is it! They are not works of art, they are tools with a purpose. What you did is improve the usability of the tool - making it better suited to the intended purpose.

i am also very sorry to hear about about your wife - thoughts and prayers to her, you and your family.

Latest posts