Kill Switch ? I don't need no stinkin kill switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. I came across this very scenario about 8 years ago - with the driver still in the water. We picked up the driver, then as best I could, matched the spin of his boat. He was able to jump on his boat and shut her down. Risky, indeed, but he was willing to try it. BTW - his kill switch was not attached to his arm/leg as it should have been.

2. This past week on Lake Conroe (north of Houston) there was a horrible accident in which both parents were killed, while the 12 year old daughter was on board but only suffered minor injuries. Th short version is: bass boat fishermen (2) were speeding back to the ramp for a weigh-in, in the dark, but apparently could not distinguish the difference between the other boat's running lights and the lake houses porch lights. They were going far too fast for the conditions - and almost cut the other boat in half. BOTH parents killed. Breaks my heart: https://www.click2houston.com/news/...ghter-injured-after-boat-crash-on-lake-conroe

We need everyone back at the boat ramps safe.

CMOS

CMOS said:
1. I came across this very scenario about 8 years ago - with the driver still in the water. We picked up the driver, then as best I could, matched the spin of his boat. He was able to jump on his boat and shut her down. Risky, indeed, but he was willing to try it. BTW - his kill switch was not attached to his arm/leg as it should have been.

2. This past week on Lake Conroe (north of Houston) there was a horrible accident in which both parents were killed, while the 12 year old daughter was on board but only suffered minor injuries. Th short version is: bass boat fishermen (2) were speeding back to the ramp for a weigh-in, in the dark, but apparently could not distinguish the difference between the other boat's running lights and the lake houses porch lights. They were going far too fast for the conditions - and almost cut the other boat in half. BOTH parents killed. Breaks my heart: https://www.click2houston.com/news/...ghter-injured-after-boat-crash-on-lake-conroe

"Sometimes it's hard to see the lights". I hope the kid and family sue the bass fishing (racing) buisness out of existence. Stupid rednecks.

CMOS

Stumpalump said:
CMOS said:

CMOS

Only a bunch of stupid rednecks would combine bass fishing with racing. How come they don't have to call it a race and go by the rules that other racing sanctions have to go by?

Stumpalump said:
Stumpalump said:
CMOS said:

CMOS

Only a bunch of stupid rednecks would combine bass fishing with racing. How come they don't have to call it a race and go by the rules that other racing sanctions have to go by?

They didn't combine fishing and "racing". The Bass fishermen were headed back the marina trying to meet a deadline for their tournament fish weigh-in. They chose pure speed over any caution, and now look what happened. :-x

CMOS

My cousin had a hot foot in his bass boat, I fished just once with him after it was installed, that boat, an 18' + Kingfisher went from a safe boat to a nightmare.

Fished in plenty of working man night tournaments and one thing was certain, caution and safety was an afterthought for most. I was nearly hit twice on the same night, decided my guardian angel needed a rest. I haven't fished a tournament in over twenty years.

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

CMOS said:

I heard about this wreck. Terrible. IMO no one should be much over the speed it takes to stay on plane at night. Very reckless. I hate that you can't tell some people anything (not necessarily this guy), but most think they know lakes well enough or how to operate their boat well enough but they don't. Be safe everyone

CMOS

Sorry, I didn't mean to place my post in the quote:

I heard about this wreck. Terrible. IMO no one should be much over the speed it takes to stay on plane at night. Very reckless. I hate that you can't tell some people anything (not necessarily this guy), but most think they know lakes well enough or how to operate their boat well enough but they don't. Be safe everyone

water bouy said:
How could I add a remote kill switch on older tiller motors.

Easy. You can buy the switch and lanyard as a kit. It will have 2 wires. You simply cut ONE of your primary ignition wires and connect that switch to that point. The other switch wire goes to a Ground on the Power Head somewhere. When the switch is "activated", you're simply grounding your ignition, killing the spark.

When you're ready to do this we can help with more specifics.

CMOS

BoatingCop said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to place my post in the quote:

My first post did the same thing. I did not even see it imbedded in the quote. I quests we have to look better for the end of the quote.

It's stupidness such as the above events that cause the police around here to check every boat on the lake for drunk drivers and all safety equipment. Drunk drivers are arrested and treated the same as a dui in a car. Not having the required safety gear is a $200ish fine

While I will have a drink or two on the boat, even on no wake lakes I have my kill switch tether around my wrist. Absolutely no reason to risk it when it's so easy to prevent

finstr said:
It's stupidness such as the above events that cause the police around here to check every boat on the lake for drunk drivers and all safety equipment. Drunk drivers are arrested and treated the same as a dui in a car. Not having the required safety gear is a $200ish fine

Reading your post made me realize I haven't seen a law enforcement or fish & game person on any of the lakes I've visited over the past year and a half. I'm typically out at least once a week so you would think I would have bumped into some person of authority at some point. Maybe it is because I'm seldom out on the lake on weekends and that is when most of the knuckleheads that need watching are out.

I don't know about other states, but, in Florida, it is perfectly legal and often
practiced for our Fish and Wildlife officers to be in plain clothes posing as the
normal average fisherman or hunter to catch those that harvest fish and wildlife outside of the rules.
you just never know who is fishing beside you.
and also - they can be watching you from a mile away with binoculars.

you may not have seen a wildlife officer - but I bet many have seen YOU !!
fwc officers.png

Johnny, you may very well have explained why I don't see the officers. At one of the lakes I frequent there is this really nice guy in a golf cart that always comes over to chat it up. Says he lives nearby. Talks about his boat, asks what I'm fishing for, etc. Now you got me wondering if he might be undercover. :shock: Maybe I should ask if he is "five oh". :LOL2:

Latest posts