RHINO LINING INTERIOR

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltgunner404

Reaction score
Hey I just traded a rifle for a 1986 Bass Tracker tournament v-17 the boat is in fair shape. Major problem is the transom is needing replaced. I have a good grasp of wood working and mechanics so I don't think that there will be a problem with that. The carpeting in the boat is rotten, I'm thinking of replacing it with Rhino Lining, My buddy does it professionally and he owes me big time for some electrical work. I guess my question is has anybody seen it done before? The wood under the carpet now is still in fair shape, only one little piece appears to need replacement.

That stuff weighs a ton

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

I don't think that the liner can weigh much more than the carpet a glue will, I think that it would hold up better to weather than carpet would and as far as permanents I'm looking more towards utility and endurance than cosmetics. Do you really think that the liner would weigh much more than the carpet?

what do you plan to spray the liner on ??
the aluminum hull or wood decking ?
I was thinking you wanted to spray the hull - which is not recommended.
as for spraying a plywood deck, I would say go for it.
your boat = your call

come back after it's done - we would like to hear your opinion (pro or con).

oh - and I doubt very seriously if anyone has ever actually compared the weight
of liner vs carpet...... on the automotive forums, it is agreed upon that the liner
adds between 40 and 60 pounds of weight to a standard 8ft pickup truck bed.

Ya just planing on spraying the wood deck. Ya so i'm thinking that it not much more than the glue/carpet would weigh. I have been reading on other forums about it now that a weight issue was raised and it seems that it's not much of a big deal. I am looking forward to the project. I understand there was a thread on repairing the transom a tutorial I haven't been able to find it can someone link it?

this is an article that I wrote awhile back - for a very heavy duty transom
for 35hp or larger motors. for something 25hp or smaller, just use TiteBond III wood glue
instead of epoxy and don't use fiberglass cloth.

https://www.tinboats.net/how-to-build-a-transom/

I have a 06 PT175 that is 17'3" in length and a 83" beam. I checked in to rhino liner for the whole inside. The thinnest that they would do, and still warranty it. Would add right at 85 to 95 lbs. to the boat.

So I would look into Tuff Coat. It's a roll on type paint with rubber in it for a great nonskid texture. Made for boat decks. And comes in a lot of colors also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am currently restoring a 98 v17 and using tuff coat. I have torn the boat down and just cut a new transom for it. Not a hard job but in the V17 you have to cut the corners after taking off the cap to pull the old one out. Now that it is cooling off I will be putting more time into it.

I'm confused. If you can do a bedliner with about 2 gallons of Herculiner, how does a Rhino-Liner weigh 70-80 lbs.? After drying and curing?

ericman said:
I'm confused. If you can do a bedliner with about 2 gallons of Herculiner, how does a Rhino-Liner weigh 70-80 lbs.? After drying and curing?
Thats my question to. But that's what they told me. Something to do with thickness and a much more solid material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah - back to school I suppose.

if a gallon of coating weighs 12 pounds, and it is applied to a surface,
obviously, the solvent and carrier evaporates out - thus making the
coating lighter - not heavier.

so - if it takes 5 gallons to do a big truck bed, the initial application would
add 60 pounds - - - with evaporation of the liquids, I am sure it would
weigh less - not more.

~ correct ~ ????

Yes, I believe so to. But how much evaporation occurs. To something that is at its full size when it is applied. And the only thing that really happens it it hardens up. Just asking, for my own curiosity.

ok so i talked to my friend about the weight, it isn't going to be a problem, We sprayed
a 1 foot by 1 foot by 3/4 inch square on a piece of plastic, let it dry and it weighed less than 6 ounces, i think that it will be fine

If that's the case. I'll be getting it to.

Rhino liner was once the rage here with the flat bottom duck boats. But then they all started boat racing more than duck hunting and found out that the rhino is heavy stuff and slowed the boats down considerably. This is applied to the entire inside surfaces of the boat and nowhere else. Many of the boat racers aka duck hunters also found out that since they slowed their boats down, they wanted to upgrade to a bare hull, or a faster hull, so they sold the old rhin-lined boat. What they found was that not everyone wanted the rhino-lined interior and thus it affected the resale in a negative way. Something else worth considering, for what it's worth.

I like Nautilex, and it's not permanent as it can be removed later on down the line if you want. It's basically a paintable vinyl type stuff that comes in sheets that has a texture similar to rhino liner. Lot of boat manufacturers use it. I'm actually considering buying some for mine. Right now it's painted aluminum and that floor will burn your feet this time of year. Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon on the water watching the fish and animals react to a total solar eclipse, which was interesting to say the least, but before and after eclipse that floor was so hot that my shoes were leaving marks on it. I wasn't uncomfortable but I sure didn't want to take my shoes off and go barefoot-which I generally like to do when I'm on the water.

Something else I didn't like about it is that the little tiny nooks and crannies of the bed liner hold dirt. In time it looks like poo. The liner is also sort of an attractant in that when dirt does get into it, it's hard to get out. Had a truck that had a rhino-liner and while it was sort of nice in that stuff didn't slide around, if you use it for a truck, it gets dirty and has to be scrubbed to get it semi clean.

Latest posts