What is best way to overhaul bottom of my Grumman boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctmtb

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Grumman Dual Console. Great little boat but the bottom needs some TLC. If you look at the photos, some of the bottom looks nice with smooth paint, other parts are kinda rough and chipping.

I'd like to overhaul (not sure that's the correct term) the bottom and repaint it. Should I use an electric drill with some type of scotchbright attachment to clean it all off then find a bottom paint specific to aluminum?

Attachments

• IMG_20170730_145547.jpg
    IMG_20170730_145547.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_20171013_120621.jpg
    IMG_20171013_120621.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_20171013_120606.jpg
    IMG_20171013_120606.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 602
Another question: does the boat live on a trailer, or in the water? No reason to fool with anti fouling paint unless you leave it in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh wow - when I worked at a boat yard in Key West, FL
many years ago, this was the normal condition for aluminum boats.
the procedure of repair has not changed all that much over the years.
strip the inside of the boat, turn it over, chemically strip off all the paint.
chemically remove all corrosion. Soda blasting would be the best insurance
of achieving good solid and clean metal to work with.
you might want to read up on the two-part epoxy primers as well as POR-15 products
prior to doing anything. then, check into the two-part epoxy top coats.
good luck !!!!!

I use the boat only in salt water, but it lives on a trailer and I rinse it off with fresh water after use. I just really like the boat and don't want the bottom to get any worse.

To be honest it looks like somebody sprayed the bottom with that FLEXSEAL crap off TV. It looks exactly like that once the UV breaks it down.

Latest posts