my boat was finally found

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
while camping/fishing on stuart lake we woke up to a missing boat.we ended up driving home with an empty boat trailer.it was found 2 weeks later banging around on a beach at the end of the lake.after 2 months our insurance company has finally decided to write off the boat and the 2 motors.now i'm debating on a new project like a princecraft yukon or just buying an alumacraft escape 145 cs.we're just waiting to see what the final # will be for the payout. it is insured up to 14K.all our gear for fishing,life jackets,the whole 9 yards are a 4 day drive away.i am definately going with the etec this time.nothing against my tohatsu,but i want an etec.

Attachments

• WIDMAN (13).JPG
    WIDMAN (13).JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 2,721
  • WIDMAN (14).JPG
    WIDMAN (14).JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 2,721
  • WIDMAN (12).JPG
    WIDMAN (12).JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 2,721
not stolen.just broke free and wandered off.we are hoping they ship all the gear down to us.too much of a pain to replace everything.there are well over a thousand flies and 6 flyrods and reels.thats our 5 k max contents coverage right there.

"max coverage" I presume that one could pay for a ..rider.. if you had substantially more "stuff". We did that with a necklace and a ring for my wife many years ago.

As it turned out, the necklace was lost while she was on a golf course, helping in the Special Olympics Preparation with a local youngster. Somewhere out there, there is a pretty expensive diamond! (She never replaced it).

nope.$5560 for motor replacement,$4000 boat and $550 for trolling motor and max up to $5000 for anything to do with boat operations and anything like rods and flies and such we need to file a separate claim.the ins. adjuster is doing all the inventory and cost to replace stuff and we should hear about what they plan to do in a few more days.

Rich; There is a website called "ringfinders" that is a network of metal detectors that will do a search-to-order type of thing. Many of them do charge a fee, but that may help you recover the necklace, if you and the misses are so inclined. The problem is that it may have been found some time ago, or if the ground has been disturbed to any extent, it may have been relocated from where she lost it.

Roger

Thanks, but the loss was many years ago.

That area ( a fairway on a golf course ) has been cut, aerated, flooded (twice) and Lord knows what else since the incident.

She and the Special Olympics student played five or six holes that night! She wouldn't know where to start, even if it was yesterday.

There was a guy on my local news the other night who got his wedding ring back 45 years after he lost it on a dirt road on his farm!

The OP's situation reminds me.....

I rented a cabin on a local small river a couple years ago. Popular place, world renown. There was another cabin right next to us that a couple had rented for the entire week, and they were on day 6 and 7 as we were just getting checked in. They were from New York as I recall. The river changes, and changes often, and drastically. It's not uncommon for it to rise 10 feet (vertically) in 20 minutes time, stay high and swift for hours, or maybe only 1 hour. All depends on how much the corps wants to release and/or generate electricity. We were there in late August/early Sept of 2014. I had my boat, knew the waters, but chose to leave the boat on the trailer until it was time to go fishing. My "neighbor" had his boat tied to a tree right below the cabin, which the river is about 50 feet down a steep but not so steep that you can't walk down, bank from the cabin. Well we turned in for the night after chit-chatting with the neighbors and said I'd see 'em on the water in the morning before they had to check out. I get up at about 0500 and walked outside to enjoy the crisp summer air and watch the sun rise, neighbor guy's down at the water's edge but his boat is gone. Figured he'd loaded it already. I walk down with a fishing rod and he asks me if I'd seen his boat. Nope. Just woke up. So we decided that my boat was a good candidate to go boat hunting with. I launched, picked him up and headed down river. Made it about 11 miles down river and found it up against a gravel bar, not hurt much, but the tree he had it tied up to broke (was a small tree) and away the boat goes at about 7 mph. He drove it back no problem and I'm pretty sure that's an event he won't forget anytime soon.

OP-I hope your situation turns out for the best.

finally got a settlement from our ins. company.4.5k for the boat and trolling motor,5.5k for the motor,5k for all the gear to run the boat and 6.5k for all the fishing gear,etc.and no deductable. i'm going in tomorrow and ordering the alumacraft escape 145 cs and yamaha 40.spent all day buying new fly rods,gear,minnkota deckhand 40,a humminbird helix 7 and a new bimini top and a new wireless trolling motor.i'm really looking forward to having all new gear.wholesale sports outfitters are closing all their western canada stores and i've been getting screaming good deals.average of 60% off most of the stuff i need.all the cheap flyrods have been snapped up so i splurged and bought 4 high end rods.i can't believe it took 3 months for this.good thing it wasn't my house that burned down.i'd be living in a cardboard box by now.after 3 months of our gear sitting around almost everything that was worth anything was stolen.we did get some of it back,but the 3 rods that were left were all broken when we got them back.and all the reels were gone.i honestly can't figure out why the adjuster even bothered shipping what was left.they shipped the fish finder but no transducer??

What size rope and or anchor did you have on her, also what age was it?

Never had a boat "break free" just like that, doesn't sound right to me.

In the days before hurricane Wilma blew through the east coast of So Flo (I lived on a salt water canal) and I had plenty of lines from my Pursuit tied to my dock pilings, the deck, seawall AND an anchor fore and aft with enough line to accommodate rising water. The marine and hardware stores were totally out of any type of line to secure boats with.

During the storm I looked out my back window and there were boats spiraling past my boat that had ripped free of their docks, pounding my boats starboard side which luckily I had secured many bumpers / cushions to which kept them from damaging my boat. Mine was one of the few remaining on the dock after the storm.

When the storm was over many boats were piled up at the end of the canal some 60 yards from me.

My next door neighbor had a nice Boston Whaler that (I had advised him to get more new lines previously but he was too value conscious) had hung onto the dock by one flimsy line that had not broken and was 90 degrees to the dock and he was on it holding a piling yelling for help. The same dude had thrown away several thousand dollars in meats (twice after storms) he kept in a large freezer as overflow from his business because he was too "value conscious" to get a generator. He felt I should run a line from my genset to his house because my genset was so big :)

Anyway, I got my boat hook, pulled it in and secured it. He sold the boat, brought the freezer back to his business and got a 2000 watt generator that he thought might be sufficient to keep him comfy after a storm.

A few things came out of this.

1. Far too many people rely on too few lines to secure their boats.

2. Way too many people wait till the last minute (if ever) to replace old, faded, frayed lines.

3. People gladly pay insurance to a company but too often don't buy products to keep their valuables safe.

OP, I'm glad your boat was found and hopefully you will get your stuff back.

so far this week i picked up an anchor buddy,trolling motor disconnect,gimbal mount and neoprene cover for the fish finder, remote switch for the anchor winch and an aux 12volt /usb socket.all i need now are boat/seat and engine covers for the long,dusty forest service roads,a couple new deep cycles and a boat to put everything in/on.i think it may be in by march or april at the latest.

it's being prepped for shipping today.less the crappy fishfinder,mannequin and trolling motor.i've got better ones waiting in the garage(not the mannequin of course).should be here by the end of the week.6 long months without a boat.last thing to buy is a big deep cycle and trailer rims to match my ram.then i'm done for a couple months.i'll post some pics of the add ons as i go.

Attachments

• 218617ca-dee7-47fe-bdbf-b85395c0d007.jpeg
    218617ca-dee7-47fe-bdbf-b85395c0d007.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,633

Latest posts