Brainstorming floor support

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV1951

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody has ever tried this? Couldn't find any info to see if used by others in the past.
This would be for floor support between the bench seats. Could cut out of 2x6 or 2x8, depending on the height wanted.
Would sit on ribs, since they offer more support than the lighter gage hull. These would be cut to match the hull bottom and up the sides to desired height. This would give solid, even support and spread the weight out across the entire bottom when standing on the floor. Vertical single supports put the pressure on only a few contact points.
A stiffener(s) across the bottom would keep the supports from folding in on themselves.
Could add a third one in the middle if the "joists' bowed down too much. Would prefer 2x2 vs. 2x4 for weight savings, but 2x4 would probably not require a middle piece.
PS forgive the rudimentary pic)

hKR1V8M.jpg

I am assuming this is to support a “drop in” floor board between bench seats. I have done this before but have run the wooden stringers/joists longitudinally. One in the center, two halfway between center and the edge. The edge supports itself. The center one being taller obviously. I just screwed them to the 1/2” plywood floor from above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there anyway to rivet some alum angle to the walls of the benches? That would support the ends of the floor. Then support the middle & 2/3 out with long stringers out like weldor said. I would use alum, not wood, for lighter weight & no rot. Just have to get creative on attachment flanges, i have notched & bent to fit up to ribs. Pop rivets work very well for this type of structure.

Yes, this would essentially be a drop in floor that could easily be removed for inspection and subsequent cleanings of the inside.

Attaching to the bench seats is permanent and I was trying to avoid that. I have seen this method done numerous times. That is another option though, and could put hatches in for storage.

I am trying to avoid putting any outward pressure on the sides, not that it would very much.

MrSimon said:
I've done it. It's a fine idea. It will work great .... and is fairly easy and cheap to do.

Good to hear. If yours is easily removable, could you provide a pic of the underneath side?
Did you place yous on the ribs, or directly on bottom?

WV1951 said:
MrSimon said:
I've done it. It's a fine idea. It will work great .... and is fairly easy and cheap to do.

Good to hear. If yours is easily removable, could you provide a pic of the underneath side?
Did you place yous on the ribs, or directly on bottom?

Sorry, sold the boat years ago.

The ribs ran side to side, so the longways wood pieces sat perpendicular to the ribs.

Latest posts