Using a smart phone as a Marine GPS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lap202

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has experience using a smartphone instead of an expensive GPS/Chart Plotter. I am working on a budget boat project and was thinking about using an old Galaxy S5 which is water resistant in the boat.

Would like suggested apps for this purpose.

Would probably convert a bicycle phone holder I have into a stationary mount on the boat.

I am not sure about how it would translate, but my cousin uses an app when we ski that tracks everything. Elevation changes, max speed, and the route you take. It then creates a map of your trail you can save and use for later, or in your case, to find your way home.

If that sounds interesting to you I could ask him for the name of it.

Some people do it and there are great apps but, the visibility of the phone's screen in daylight is poor, really poor. I use mine sometimes on my jon boat but on my big boat I have a regular plotter, night and day difference.

You can do it, but very hard to see in the sun and you will need it plugged in constantly if your using the GPS.. battery won't last an hour.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have a chip arriving today, but, up until now, I have used the Navionics USA app on my Android.

It's about ten bucks a year. Shows most of the lakes that I want to see.

It is very hard to see in the sunlight. I understand that shrouds or shade covers are made that help.

I believe that they offer a free trial.

i use my galaxy android for gps,speed elevation,you name it.no problem seeing the screen,and it plugs into a scoshe 12 volt plug with a magnetic holder for the phone that also has a built in usb plug and is also flexable.total cost was around 25 bucks.i paired it up with the fishing mapbooks app.

Attachments

• 20180328_154226.jpg
    20180328_154226.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,026
bcbouy said:
i use my galaxy android for gps,speed elevation,you name it.no problem seeing the screen,and it plugs into a scoshe 12 volt plug with a magnetic holder for the phone that also has a built in usb plug and is also flexable.total cost was around 25 bucks.i paired it up with the fishing mapbooks app.
See my galaxy phones I dont remember having too much issue using outside, but maybe mounted on a boat the distance makes it difficult. Might try navionics if they have the lakes I plan to fish.

One day I'll save up and get myself a fish finder and a budget chart plotter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

speaking of smartphones,anyone else besides me wondering when all the other manufacturers are going to offer smartphone /bluetooth app for engines like the merc vesselview for smaller displacement outboards?i can only get it for the evinrude g2.not my 40.merc starts at 40 and up.it sure would be nice to have a multi function gauge display at my fingertips without having to mount a bunch of expensive gauges.i have my fingers crossed it happens soon. it will work with any modern engine running an ecm,and they would sell a whole lot more than conventional analog stuff.and i bet alot of you guys would jump on it. even the new boats use the touchscreen displays now,even the buttons and switches are touchscreen instead of old school toggles and buttons.

brp,honda,suzuki,yamaha,parsun,nissan,the list goes on.i don't see what you're getting at.doesn't matter who makes the engine,the market is still out there.

Yamaha's got an app....I "think" it also works with the new F25, but I could be wrong. Worth researching.

Yes I use my phone app, I just use maxspeed app. Last year in August I went up to the bigger lake for some crappie. Got there before day light, waited a while so that there was enough light to navigate. I was going about 3 miles to my "spot", which requires going across open lake for about 3/4 mile, making a hard left curve down a channel, then open lake, then to an island. I fish near the island. There was plenty of light to see, so I left the ramp and headed out. Got around the bend and it hit me...a fog bank like I've NEVER seen in my life, it was so thick that I couldnt' see the front of the boat (and it's just a 15' tin). I had the app turned on of course. I knew "about" where I was but with the fog that thick it was hard to tell where the banks were, the rock pile, and submerged trees. I've run that route many times; and had it plotted in the app from the last time I was out. So I zoomed all the way in and stayed more or less on the line until I hit the waypoint, stopped, trolled about 5 foot and found my tree top. Saved my tail end that day.

THe MPH isn't all that accurate, but close enough to give you an idea. It's not "real" GPS, but as said, close enough to give you an idea. Mine puts me within a 16' radius at the closest point which where I'm at is close enough. If I were on the river, 16' is the difference between running into a nasty pile of rocks and squeaking past with inches to spare, so I don't use it much there. If it's foggy there (which it is almost every day), I just use my gut...and stay real conservative.

It works in a pinch, if you have no other options. I mount my phone using a Ram Mounts X-Grip. I have a dedicated chartplotter but I like having the phone at easy access since I use it for audio.

6065a.jpg

For maps, it might work just fine in direct sun light but, I was using mine in satellite mode and it is real tough to see in direct sun.

surfman said:
For maps, it might work just fine in direct sun light but, I was using mine in satellite mode and it is real tough to see in direct sun.
I'll have to fiddle around next time I try floating my boat to see how sun light affects visibility. Ultimately I just need to keep my eyes on classifieds for a budget fish finder and possibly gps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Be wary. A budget fishfinder, even with GPS, may need a map chip to do you any good.

Many of the low cost "map equipped" GPS/FF come with a rudimentary map. It might only show a Blue Blob where your lake is. Yes, you can follow a shoreline and return to a particular point on the Blue Blob, but it won't show any depth or detail.

On my most recent boat acquisition, it came with a Humminbird 587 ci HD. I just added a Navionics chip for an additional $129.00. Now, I have depths and charting.

Latest posts