tube towing for beginners

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipster dufus

Reaction score
would like to tow a tube w my grandkids. never done it before. rig is a 1756 cc G3 w a 70 hp yamaha. what do i need to know? any and all advice is greatly welcomed. ropes i need? safety etc. thanks

Be aware that the tube can dig into the water & pull back on the boat suddenly. Best to have a very strong tow rope & attachment ring on boat.

The other risk is that the driver can lose focus on the path & dangers forward, if he is looking back at the kids.

My last boat was hit by a driver doing just that.

Make sure you make wide turns to keep constant tension on the rope. Just watch your speed because this can create like a pendulum effect and the tube can increase speed and sling up next to the boat. Its really fun if the riders are wanting you to do this. If you make too tight of a turn and you get slack in your rope and don't let off the throttle when the slack is taken up it can jerk the tube pretty hard. Not sure about your body of water but where I'm from you are required to have an orange flag on your boat if you're pulling tubers or skiers.

A ski pole is nice. You can get a y bridle and tow from your transom eyes but the rope will be in the water. Doesn’t sound like a big deal but the spray from the rope hits the tuber in the face and takes a lot of fun out of it. The ski pole will keep the rope up. Some safety tips are to use a spotter, get a mirror and keep a throwable on a rope handy in case you have to retrieve a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot of people don't understand the rules. Here in NH you must have one spotter for every person being towed, driver doesn't count. So if you have one of those double person tubes pulling two people you need the driver and two spotters in the boat.

Always have a spotter.
No need to jump on the throttle.
Drive in straighter lines for younger kids and all over the place for teen agers. Cross your own wake.
Wear PFDs.
Most important is turn off your engine when it is anywhere near people getting on and off your boat.

I think by law you need 75' of rope, you also need to have a warning flag mounted so others know you are towing a tube/skier.

Flotation devices are a must, go slow per age and experience of the rider(s), the more time on a tube the more speed you can use. Bear in mind you should always have a spotter so the driver can keep focused on driving/operating. It is law in my state of NJ, I assume it is where you are.

It can be great fun as long as you use proper caution.

Check laws in your state to insure compliance.

PFD's are mandatory for all riders.

Spotter necessary.

Work out some simple hand signals with the riders, speed up, slow down are the main two.

Start them out in the slickest water you can find, then work them up to find their comfort level.

With a mod-v hull, don't expect to be able to sling them around like more conventional ski boats do. The lack of a prominent keel will hurt your ability to get riders outside of the wake. Throttle work along with steering input will be necessary. You might even find that the 70 wants a pitch or two lower prop with that kind of load. Mine does. I run 2 inches less pitch when doing water sports so I can keep the rpm up. I run an F70 as well, and it likes rpm, they aren't known for torque. Get a tow harness and use the tie points on the stern. There are ski poles that work in the rear seat mount, but I have yet to see one that doesn't specifically prohibit inflatables. Most wake boat towers don't even like towables. They can put some outrageous stress on things WHEN they submarine. I say "when", because it will happen. If you have a problem with the rope trying to dive under the water, get one of the football looking things to keep it out of the water. It will help.

Most of all, have fun.

Props: See below for proof of WHY you should switch out your prop before tubing, going at least 2" below the general use prop. One thing you want to prevent on OB motors is lugging. This prop calculator already forces or recommends a 2" lower pitched prop when pulling loads.

Tubing Speeds: However, with that said, take care to make note of what your tube may say, for safe tubing speeds. As a general rule it is 15MPH for children and 20MPH for adults. Note these speeds are well below the ideal water skiing speed of 25MPH, where speeds vary depending on the skier's weight, experience level, comfort level, and the type of skis they are using.

Speeds for towing tubes depends largely on the tube design and it always slower ...

Attachments

• Tubing Props.jpg
    Tubing Props.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 1,398
Johnny said:
try to find a grumpy old codger fishing all by himself and
buzz by him as close as you can with everyone screaming and yelling.
try to make as big of wakes as you can going back and forth.
oh - and have your stereo on full blast too. Tons of Fun for everyone.

You forgot the part about heading straight for the guy whilst pretending you are looking somewhere else. Add in some jet skis and you have what we affectionally refer to as "lake lice". haha

LDUBS said:
Johnny said:

You forgot the part about heading straight for the guy whilst pretending you are looking somewhere else. Add in some jet skis and you have what we affectionally refer to as "lake lice". haha
You forgot to make sure the guys name is Johnny!

Johnny said:

This is why I built my current boat and fish only HP Restricted lakes now. (old codger also :LOL2: )

Used to have a 180 procraft f/s with 115 Mariner 2s when a teenager. Pulled a lot and rode a lot with it. Best thing I could say would be start out slow and make adjustments with tow bar and rope. Make sure it's really good sound anchored as well. Depending on passenger weight will determine how much speed you need.

Latest posts