Brands Using Foam Blocks Rather than Sprayed Foam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluega

Reaction score
I've been reading about how foam blocks tend to hold up much better than sprayed foam (possibly because the blocks come from precisely climate controlled factories). And I've also heard that sometimes these blocks are easily removable from the boat so that they can be replaced.

Does anyone here know of any boat brands/models that have foam blocks instead of sprayed or poured foam? Do any of these have easily removable blocks?

I'm hoping to find a boat with a deep v-hull around ~16' long that has [removable] block foam.

Thanks,
Bluega

My Alumacraft 1442NCS had a foam block under the front deck. That's the only thing I'm certain of because I cut into the front deck to make storage space and there was a block in there.

Both of my last two boats have boxed in areas in each corner back by the transom. Both were filled with foam. The Klamath used a stack of foam blocks. The Gregor used two-part foam. I can't say what was under the floor on either as I've not looked.

In general, if a closed-in area, I would prefer blocks over the two-part poured or sprayed in foam. To me it is just easier to deal with if making any kind of modifications.

Okay, thanks for the info both,
It seems to me that, for the kind of 16' ski-fish (wrap windshield with bowrider style seating) boat I'm looking for, sprayed/poured foam under the deck is unavoidable. I'll just might have to someday redo it with foam blocks.

Thanks again,
Bluega

All I can tell you is that my Sylvan had blocks of foam within the gunwales that I had to remove to install my Traxstech track system. It was miserable to remove.

I have seen the same manufacturer use sprayed foam and blocks, depending on the model of the boat-within the same manufacturer.

Not sure what advantage you are looking for, both will displace water and float, the only disadvantage I can see is the blocks are usually made from polystyrene and it will dissolve if it gets gas on it, but, it is less resistant to absorbing water, the two part stuff, even though people call it closed cell foam, will still soak up water if it is exposed to it for a prolonged time.

Latest posts