Ladders... I'm using ladders.

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
pixelshaman

Post by pixelshaman »

I'm cheap, lazy, and don't have a garage. I did these in photoshop with two 8' ladders at scale using all the pieces and it fit well. I think this will work. Which layout do you like? I think I prefer option 2 with less decking.

[ external image ] [ external image ]

Churak

Re: Ladders... I'm using ladders.

Post by Churak »

It's certainly some out of the box thinking, but I'm curious, is it really cheaper/easier to buy a ladder and cut up? Unless you're just laying the ladder down and not securing it in any way, I feel the amount of effort and cost will still be cheaper to get some aluminum tubing and simply run it between the seats with some legs to the floor for support

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

samuelh1987

Post by samuelh1987 »

Awesome Idea. Have you thought abut decking the front half and just placing a floor in the midsection / stern? There are times you may prefer the floor for space. I've got a old ladder that I've been thinking of chopping up for the same purpose haha

Shaugh

Post by Shaugh »

It's good thinking. More often than not the profit margin on something like a ladder is much smaller than on the equivalent raw materials. Only concern would be strength... a step ladder is actually pretty weak in that direction... I'd test it before I did the whole boat...

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS »

I think that is really a pretty good idea. As far as voting, I kind of like SamuelH's idea.

I assume these are cut up step ladders. I'm thinking if you left the ladders intact, you could use them as hinges to open the entire deck! :LOL2:
Have Rod - Will Fish

Scott F

Post by Scott F »

After being a boat owner for over 30 years, if I bought a boat with all the decking and storage in the final draft of your plan, I’d tear most or all of it out to give me more floor space.

pixelshaman

Post by pixelshaman »

Scott F wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 18:32
After being a boat owner for over 30 years, if I bought a boat with all the decking and storage in the final draft of your plan, I’d tear most or all of it out to give me more floor space.
I respect your opinion but the boat in your profile pic has a deck? I want one just like yours so I can troll from up there and cast easier under trees and docks.

pixelshaman

Post by pixelshaman »

I'm adding a trolling motor up front so the decking is a must. I don't want an intricate cage of L channel and a bunch of hole drilling and riveting. I'm using thicker C channels (aluminum ladders) resting on L channels attached to the side faces of the benches with no desire for an undercarriage and separate compartments. I want light, simple, sturdy, and easily removable. The ladders already have cross braces(steps) with heavy rivets and depending on the ladder you can get extra corner bracing. I could put latches on the deck corners to hold the whole thing down or fasten it all underneath. I mainly fish 9.9hp and electric only lakes that stay pretty mellow, no chop.

The boat currently sits like this, a G3 1448lw.

[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

Typical step-to-step spacing of a ladder is 11 inches. If a single rung is 1-1/2" tall, that makes all of your hatches 9-1/2" wide. Add a 1/2" lip on all sides for the hatch door to rest on and your opening is now only 8-1/2".

I think you can install aluminum square tube or even aluminum I-beam at a lower cost than a ladder with less work. A ladder is tapered from top to bottom requiring you to make all of your cuts at an angle and to set your aluminum channel supports at different heights. A ladder is more cumbersome to cut than tubing or I-beam. Tubing or I-beam gives you a lot more flexibility in designing storage space. 4 pieces of tubing or I-beam between bench seats gives plenty of support.

I'm lucky and have a huge metals supplier within half an hour away that will have everything needed in stock and I pay wholesale prices. If you can't do that where you are, a ladder might become less expensive. Call these guys on Monday if you're interested in pricing. They can price a small number of items over the phone. https://metals.shopjfi.com/?l=1

Scott F

Post by Scott F »

Here’s a picture of my boat. Mostly open floor space.
Attachments
F028502B-D8A1-4099-B5E5-77A7D9C6C269.jpeg
F028502B-D8A1-4099-B5E5-77A7D9C6C269.jpeg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 923 times
7943C65C-F48C-40FB-8188-946E3805C779.jpeg
7943C65C-F48C-40FB-8188-946E3805C779.jpeg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Shaugh

Post by Shaugh »

If I was going to try this I'd be more inclined to find an extension ladder.. parallel sides.. significantly stronger rails... Buy an old one off craigslist:

I'm sure you'd find similar near you:
https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/d/ ... 22472.html

https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/d/ ... 83074.html

You won't find that much aluminum anywhere for less...

LDUBS

Post by LDUBS »

RiverBottomOutdoors wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 15:39
You will need vertical supports.
X2.
Have Rod - Will Fish

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy »

RiverBottomOutdoors wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 15:39
You will need vertical supports.
Even though I'm not crazy about the ladder idea, I don't think vertical supports will be needed. It looks like the span is under 4 feet. With 4 aluminum channels the depth of a ladder rail, I think it can span that distance. Especially with the ladder rungs attached to prevent the channels from rolling. I'd stand on it. Working in the trades, we've used extension ladder sections laid on their side for scaffold planks with a piece of plywood on top. OSHA wouldn't approve and I wouldn't do it at a height that would likely result in serious injury. If I needed to work only a couple of feet off the floor, an extension ladder laid on a couple of sawhorses works.

Don't try this at home.

BigTerp
Donor

Post by BigTerp »

maintenanceguy wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 08:09
Don't try this at home.
Or in a boat where you could fall in and drown.
BigTerp's Tracker Sportsman 16' build-------> viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26774