Transom support bracket rivets

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d-camarena

Reaction score
Hey guys, im helping a buddy replace the transom on his 14ft aluminum boat.
Theres no way to remove the transom from the top since the caps are welded.
The easiest way seems to be to remove the transom support bracket on the floor. Its held on with rivets.
If we remove the rivets could we replace the rivets with stainless steel bolts? I ask this because we dont have a rivet air tool. Thanks for any help.
Boat is rated for 20hp but someone replaced the transom with a 2x4 that will not hold a big motor. I wouldnt even put any motor on it.

The boat is great stucturaly though, no cracks anywere. Its a welded boat.
Its 1980 western aluminum boat company.

FYI, that part you refer to is typically called the ‘knee’.

Sure, use bolts, but I would grease the heck out of the bolt where it goes through the wood and then add nylon washers under the bolt head & nut to insulate/separate the aluminum from the SS fasteners.

DaleH said:
FYI, that part you refer to is typically called the ‘knee’.

Sure, use bolts, but I would grease the heck out of the bolt where it goes through the wood and then add nylon washers under the bolt head & nut to insulate/separate the aluminum from the SS fasteners.

Thanks for your reply, i didnt know it was called a knee. Maybe thats why I couldnt find info on google.

Just to be sure, its ok to use bolts on the knee part thet connects the floor of the boat to the knee?

Solid rivets preferred, but SS bolts will work. For that, grease the bolt body and slip some adhesive-lined heatshrink on it, to fully prevent the SS from contacting tin, also using nylon washers on each side.

Latest posts