Tuff Coat question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishfried

Reaction score
I decided against vinyl floor covering in my jon. I bought a couple gallons of Tuff Coat today. I’m applying the Tuff Coat to the flat walking surfaces only. Using Totalboat aluminum paint on the vertical surfaces.
My question is how should I coat the hinges? I have about 11’ of aluminum hinges on hatches. Should I do...#1 coat the hinges with the Tuff Coat ...or #2 paint the hinges with the Totalboat aluminum paint then mask them and paint the adjacent surfaces with the TC...or #3 mask the hinges and spray the Tuff coat, leaving the hinges bare aluminum.

I will attach a couple pics. One pic is of the large hinges That I have 11’ of. The other is the hinge on the center bench seat, was a livewell, now storage for batteries.

Attachments

• BE028626-ECD4-41AC-B361-C2DF0A0297A1.jpeg
    BE028626-ECD4-41AC-B361-C2DF0A0297A1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 314
  • E7214259-E14B-461D-A199-ABE9DF821E1B.jpeg
    E7214259-E14B-461D-A199-ABE9DF821E1B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 314
I would probably find or have a paint mixed to match the color of the tough coat. Paint the hinge first. Then, I would mask the hinge and tuff-coat everything else. I think Tuff-Coat will get scraped off of the hinges when you open the hatch.

I've used TuffCoat before - so I'm giving this advice based on 1st hand experience.

You need to mix the TuffCoat thoroughly with a drill mixer to get an even suspension of grit in the paint - just apply the paint to the hinges with a brush before you mix all the way down into the grit at the bottom of the paint can and you should get a color match with minimal additional effort.

Latest posts