Waterproofing Plywood Deck Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x25xquinton

Reaction score
So in a few spots on the inside of the boat i have, i will be doing a plywood deck, with a drainage system. WIth that being said I've been stressing over what to waterproof it with. It will be kept on a trailer, indoors so the elements arent a concern. Only time it will get wet is the little bit while fishing, and any rain storm it gets hit with (not often). Im trying to determine the best route of waterproofing it without going overboard, and vice versa.

I was thinking epoxy, but it seems excessive for how little itll get water, then i was thinking old timers, then i was thinking about just some sort of stain with oil based enamel over the top.

It will be carpeted over that.

Thoughts?

Any of your options will work, so go for what is easiest for you. If you keep the attaching screws accessible, if it ever rots (probably won't be on your watch) it will be easy to replace.

I have used the old timers formula and am happy with it. I plan on using it again soon.

I am a fan of oldtimers formula. Even used it on my deck that's attached to my house and its holding up great.

I also have used the old timers formula and its very easy to apply with paint roller and is cheap compared to epoxy. Also, carpet glue still sticks very well to the old timers where as I bet you would need to rough up the epoxy for a proper bond.

Hey all so I’m hoping this post can help with my situation. I’m redoing all the decking in my 14’ aluminum. I want to waterproof it with spar urethane but since I’m putting carpet over it I can’t find a carpet adhesive that will work. I have contacted every manufacturer and they all say I have to leave the wood bare. That’s not an option for me. I read in a forum someone had great luck with Henry 263 adhesive but that’s illegal in my state so I can’t buy any. I read here about this old timer formula. Could someone elaborate a little. Do you use that on all the coats? Also what carpet glue have you had success with this type instillation? Lastly any recommendations or helpful tips you might add to help with this? Thank you all so much for any advice you can give me.

Avoiding the cost of marine grade plywood I always used epoxy seal for garage floors. It’s about $25-30 a gallon and has lasted me many projects. Ive also used it on dog houses, outdoor fish tank stands etc and holds up great. Carpet glue adheres well enough if you try to pull up the carpet once’s cured you will be pulling bits and pieces of carpet! Haha. Good luck!

In the end it depends if you feel like redoing it all again in 5-10yrs. Because if you don’t there’s other solutions. More costly however. I recently went to aluminum angle framing with pvc 4x8 sheets and im hoping I never need to mess with it again.

It's up to you guys, but there's a treatment in the self-built teardrop camper's arena that seems to work pretty good for long term treatment of plywoods.
They call it "PMF", or poor man's fiberglass. It's nothing more than Tightbond II wood glue rollered or brushed on, then with a canvas painter's tarp laid on top, with a second, exterior coat of the glue. Many will thin the glue up to 50% with water, and wash the tarp at least once to get the shrinkage while drying to a minimum.
Afterwards, most will paint it with an exterior latex for further waterproofing and colorization.
I can't help but wonder if it would work well for this situation, especially if the carpet is jute backed. (It would be a bear removing it at a later time.)

Further, I've used thinned Rustoleum marine paint to coat some exterior wood trim on my detached garage. It's still holding up nicely after five years. I will admit, it took multiple coats before I was satisfied with the coverage.

Roger

GTS225 said:
It's up to you guys, but there's a treatment in the self-built teardrop camper's arena that seems to work pretty good for long term treatment of plywoods.
They call it "PMF", or poor man's fiberglass. It's nothing more than Tightbond II wood glue rollered or brushed on, then with a canvas painter's tarp laid on top, with a second, exterior coat of the glue. Many will thin the glue up to 50% with water, and wash the tarp at least once to get the shrinkage while drying to a minimum.
Afterwards, most will paint it with an exterior latex for further waterproofing and colorization.
I can't help but wonder if it would work well for this situation, especially if the carpet is jute backed. (It would be a bear removing it at a later time.)

Further, I've used thinned Rustoleum marine paint to coat some exterior wood trim on my detached garage. It's still holding up nicely after five years. I will admit, it took multiple coats before I was satisfied with the coverage.

Roger

Like the old duck cloth boat decks.

Latest posts