Painting the interior

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
The paint in the interior of my Sea Nymph is faded and worn. I'd like to repaint it the same color. Do I have to strip the old paint off or can I skuff it down etch prime it and paint it? Thanks Todd

The adhesion of the existing paint to metal is the key here.
One test for that is to take a sharp knife & make cross hatch cuts, about 1/8 inch parallel cuts, for about 1 inch square.
Do this in a non- appearance area, obviously.
Take some fresh tape & press it hard into the cut area, pull straight up.
If the paint pulls up, I would strip it. If not, just scuff it up.

It's hard to get paint to stick well to aluminum. If you already have a coat of factory paint, use that as your primer and paint over it. It's easier to get paint to stick to paint than to aluminum. I would scuff the surface of the existing paint with some 80 grip sandpaper just to make sure you have a rough, clean surface for the paint to adhere to. Vacuum and wipe down the surface and paint.

The total boat 2 part epoxy barrier coat for aluminum boats is a very good primer that sticks to metal well. If your gunna prime it I suggest it, as for paint I dont know I used total boat wet edge and it's alright

Attachments

• 20200122_145610.jpg
    20200122_145610.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 232
  • 20200208_201619.jpg
    20200208_201619.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 232

Latest posts