1964 Mirrocraft Ski and Troll Information Wanted

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slimcowboy1978

Reaction score
I just traded a utility trailer for what appears to be a 1964 Mirrorcraft 14’ Ski and Troll boat with a 1963 Johnson FD17 outboard. I can’t find any pictures of an unmolested Ski and Troll, so I am not sure if this is what I actually have or not. What I do know is it is a 1964 14’ Mirrocraft with D241038 stamped on the left hand side of the hull. No badges or markings on the exterior of the hull, and inside on the left hand side of the transom is a coastguard plate with only HP ratings and MirroCraft company information.

7380B155-3B4F-42FC-A54C-76718ED19AE3.jpeg

I will get more pictures tomorrow

I got an email from MirroCraft today. According to the sales brochure it’s either a 1964 14’ Ski and troll or a 14’ Sportsman Runabout. I think I am going to call MirroCraft on Monday and see if they can tell me which one of the two it was, and what color the vinyl was along the gunwales. I think if I can, I am going to restore this back to original. View attachment 1964 Catalog D series.pdf

Looks like it was a high end boat for an aluminum boat in 1964. Features you don't see on aluminum boats like chines, transom cut for twin motors, and a very deep V design - comfortable when it's choppy. If you're just making it seaworthy, it will be a cool project. If you're doing a restoration, I think the hard part will be the windshield. I'm picturing heat bending lexan in a home woodshop over a form - not sure how easy that would actually be to do.

It’s already sea-worthy... so yea a full on restore... I found a guy who used to make the windshields for these a couple years back. I am going to hit him up and see if he still makes them. Then the real hard part... finding the window trim

I took her out last weekend, she is fun... but all these fishing seats need to go... also need to figure out a flat floor and a better way to fish out of it... I found out that I’m most likely going to be running the boat alone and once I a while us guys (3 of us) will go out for the weekend.
Any ideas for making it a better fishing and pleasure boat?

I’ve got the same project going right now with a ‘65 ski and troll I picked up a couple weeks ago. I put a temporary platform at the stern that’s 35” long. Makes a great seat and easy to cast from. I’m also building a bench seat up front. It makes it a lot easier to move around when fishing with the wife. This winter I’m going to remove all that and build a platform 14” below the gunwale with two braces running the length of the platform. It’s the only way I’ll be able to put a flat floor in and also be able to add storage to it. I’m curious to see what you decide to do because I’m kind of marking it up as I go right now.

I’m thinking of being simple and removing the front port side seat and the rear starboard seat and turning both removed seats into a tackle bench. The tackle bench will be where I can rest my open tackle boxes, or people can sit on them if it’s more than just me... my other idea is to just put the factory bench back in (which is probably what I will end up doing.

I got an email from MirroCraft today. According to the sales brochure it’s either a 1964 14’ Ski and troll or a 14’ Sportsman Runabout. I think I am going to call MirroCraft on Monday and see if they can tell me which one of the two it was, and what color the vinyl was along the gunwales. I think if I can, I am going to restore this back to original. View attachment 104045
Hi Slimcowboy1978. I found your post which was so helpful. I also have a 14’ Mirrocraft Ski and Troll which I thought was a 1964 but couldn’t confirm. I found another post that the number on the boat started with E24 and it was a 1965 so it makes sense that ours being D24 is a ‘64. So PDF brochure was so helpful because the seats and interior are exactly like my boat. I restored my boat in 2016. Had help with painting but I made upholstery and did the remainder by myself. My windshield isn’t perfect but OK. Thanks again for your post!

Attachments

• IMG_2088.jpeg
    IMG_2088.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2096.jpeg
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 0
Hi Slimcowboy1978. I found your post which was so helpful. I also have a 14’ Mirrocraft Ski and Troll which I thought was a 1964 but couldn’t confirm. I found another post that the number on the boat started with E24 and it was a 1965 so it makes sense that ours being D24 is a ‘64. So PDF brochure was so helpful because the seats and interior are exactly like my boat. I restored my boat in 2016. Had help with painting but I made upholstery and did the remainder by myself. My windshield isn’t perfect but OK. Thanks again for your post!

Great looking boat. Did you restore it? Looks like it just came out of the factory.

Yes I did! Did you get yours done? I didn’t see pictures. I had to replace the old original MirroCraft decal with a vinyl one because I couldn’t find an original replacement. Windshield is original and isn’t perfect. I did my own upholstery work as I sew which turned out well. Previous owners had put a box storage in the back so I upholstered that and left it.

Yes I did! Did you get yours done? I didn’t see pictures. I had to replace the old original MirroCraft decal with a vinyl one because I couldn’t find an original replacement. Windshield is original and isn’t perfect. I did my own upholstery work as I sew which turned out well. Previous owners had put a box storage in the back so I upholstered that and left it.
I just realized you weren’t the gentleman who I was originally replying to. New at this. Thank you for the compliments. It’s a sweet boat.

Parents bought a new Mirrow big fisherman in 1964. Had an 18 hp Evinrude, I bought it from my parents two years later. Great boat, we could even ski with the 18 hp. Ours had tank seating, the fish and ski had back to back seats, don't remember the sportsman model. Handled good chop very well.

Latest posts