Rod Holder Install location

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which method

• Front Deck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Back Deck

• Gunwale Top

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Gunwale Side

• You bought the wrong rod holders because you're cheap.

• Total voters

varnco

Reaction score
Hello. I've got a few attwood rod holders to use for crappie/striper/general fishing, and not sure where the best place to mount them. I have a 2003 Bass Tracker 185.
rodholder2.jpg

Front Deck - wooden deck
- Not sure if the gunwale gets in the way here, since the rod holder is about 6" tall
frontdeck.jpg
Back Deck - Aluminum deck
- Not sure if the gunwale gets in the way here, since the rod holder is about 6" tall
reardeck.jpg
Gunwale - Top of it
- Not crazy about this, as I think it's unsightly, even with the rod holder removed (the mount stays)
gunwalemount.jpg
Gunwale - side
- I don't have a versatrack, so I would have to get an L bracket to side mount, but I could remove the L bracket and rod holder when not using them and get them out of the way.
side gunwale.jpg

I've attached a few pictures of my front deck (wooden), back deck (thin aluminum with foam underneath) and then 2 sample ways of attaching to the gunwale (I don't have versatrack, so I'll be drilling holes into the side of the gunwale)

Thoughts/Opinions for those that have done it before? Any pros/cons of any location?

Thanks!

I bolted them to my storage lockers on either side. But, I'm not opposed to bolting something through the side of the boat as long as it's above the water line. A little marine adhesive under the screw head and a lock nut on the inside.

MV1751_rod_holders.jpg

Those are nice rod holders. I like the idea of mounting them on top of the gunnel. I know you don't want to see the mounts along the gunnel. OK, don't laugh, but how about putting the mounts under the gunnel. When you remove the rod holder all you will see is 3 round bolt heads that hold the mount and the hole where the rod holder goes into the mount.

I have flush mounts on my boat, but they are Scotty's and a lot different than the style you have.

That's a helluva good idea Ldubs has. You could even countersink the holes and use flush head cap screws. Use the mount as a drill guide and drill a clearance hole in the center for the rod holder. Be a slick install.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Not sure I understand.

Is the recommendation/thought to bolt the base on the underside of the gunwale overhang (on outside of boat), drill a hole through the top of the gunwale, and then place the rod portion of the rod holder through the gunwale and screw it into the mount?

Won't that cause a massive hole for water to get into?
Won't that leave out the nut that's required to properly secure it so it doesn't turn?

You can still use the jam nut to secure the rod holder. It will just tighten against the gunwale.

My thinking was as followings. Looking at your pic below, instead of having the mount on top of the gunnel where the blue tape is, put it under the gunnel where the blue tape is. Then be guided by Weldor's comments about mounting, etc. Should work well, I think. I do have to admit I thought the inside of the boat is where you left hand is. But either way, it is another option that could work.

gunwalemount.jpg

I like the option of "hidden", but that means I'll be drilling a total of 4 holes per holder. I'd like to drill as few as possible.

So, I am doing a DIY, and thinking of going with the side mount, since I'll only have to drill 2 holes rather than 3 or 4.

"X" is where I would mount
gunwalemountx.jpg

Made out of 6063 Aluminum Bar, 1" x 3/4", by 2.5" long.
mount.jpg

Question:
Since I won't be able to put a nut on the other end, what is the appropriate type screw to use in this case? What size screw?
I dont know what's on the other side of the metal within the gunwale.

All thoughts are appreciated.

What about some sort of c clamp? Screw the mount to a piece of aluminum and clamp it on. No holes in boat and removable for storage or other types of fishing.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
What about some sort of c clamp? Screw the mount to a piece of aluminum and clamp it on. No holes in boat and removable for storage or other types of fishing.

Ya, I have thought of that, but they're a bit unsightly, and the gunwale is 5" across, and most don't fit.

I use four of those for trolling.

I've had them in several configurations.

1. Two on the front deck, on either side about where it ends, and two on the rear deck, just to the outside of the outboard. In this case, the front rods sit perpendicular to the boat (straight out), and the rear rods point straight back.
2. All four on the back deck. Same config, just closer together. I prefer this now when fishing solo, don't have to book it across the boat if I hook a fish, all are at arms reach while sitting on the back deck.

Alternatively, if you have a drill bit big enough, you could probably drop a rivnut in the gunnel that is the same thread pitch as your rod holder shank. Then just screw them in. I forget what thread pitch those rod holders are, but I think they're just 3/8.

Latest posts