Seahawk Paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UP BOATER

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Aluma Hawk paint on an aluminum boat? Tech sheet says it can applied with out using primer, just wondering if it is any good.

I'm very interested in this paint. Gonna ask the manufacturer to mail me a swatch of the "Sand" color. The innerweb screen shot is a joke, it looks a little pink on my monitor, I don't want that! I've spent about 15 hours sanding on the totally stripped hull so far and around 15 more to go.

Just for food for thought. I painted my aluminum boat with total boat 2 part epoxy primer and i used total boat wet edge. For the hell of it i decided to paint a small 3 inch by 3 inch spot with just the paint, no primer. I did it to see how it would work. Well to my surprise it freaking stuck. I had to sand it off but it was on really good i bet it would have worked without primer. But i used primer anyways but still...

Got the swatch today. No where near the pinkish representation on my pooter monitor. It's a light desert tan. I like it and will order a gal and a quart of it's MEK solvent component.

Both, clean up and thinning. I ordered the MEK and 1 gal of paint from bottom paint store, The gal I talked to on their 800# gave me a coupon code for free shipping without asking. Thanks bottom Paint Store!

I found a 8HP rental compressor from HD I can rent for $55 a day next week. HD guy said it was brand new so I think the 16 CFM @ 40 lbs/12.6 CFM @ 90 lbs should be plenty to run a rinky dink Harbor Freight HVLP spray gun. Still have a half dozen tiny screw holes to epoxy, a pressure wash, acetone scrub and vinegar etch before I shoot it.

I have a 4,500lb hoist in the rafters of my shop I'll use to lift the boat up so I can set the boat down on a few 4 by 4's to get it raised up off the trailer. I'll cover the trailer with old tarps and sheets to protect it from over spray. What a PITA. Now all I need is the pollen to abate, I don't have a spray booth and I'm not gonna do it in my Shop/Man Cave.

Update. Got her pretty much sprayed but ran out of paint. I ordered another quart to finish the interior. What a learning curve having never sprayed before. I got the whole tri fecta of screw ups, tiger stripes, holidays and poor hose management. lol. Love the results! Boat looks great, 50 hours of prep and 5 hours spraying. Will post pics after I'm done.

Latest posts