Oar storage in a small boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I carry a pair of Caviness wooden oars in my 14' Smokercraft in the event of the main motor breaking down, and if I need to pole or maneuver in really shallow or weedy water.  I also have a 28 lb. thrust trolling motor on the boat.  One issue I struggle with is the space these oars take up in the boat when not being used.  When pushed up against the gunwhales, they encroach into the cockpit area by a fair amount due to the contour of the hull, and the straightness of the long oars.

I would be curious to see how others store their oars (if you carry them), or if you use something other than the standard solid, wooden oar (e.g., 2 piece, telescoping, collapsible, etc.)?  While not cheap, I'm considering 2-piece options that could breakdown and be tucked away a bit easier.  Here's an example:

https://shop.clavey.com/carlisle-heavy-duty-breakdown-rafting-oar-shaft-p188.aspx

These are mostly intended for white water rafting, but figure a heavy-duty model would work in a 14' aluminum boat.  

Thanks!

If you have a gas and an electric motor, why bother with oars at all? All I carry is a couple collapsible paddles.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

If you think you'll actually use them, maybe store them in the oar locks. Out of the way and still ready to use.

I just carry one extra long oar for pushing and maneuvering in the right conditions.

https://youtu.be/3xtQllsJqRk

Maybe because I'm old, I'm firmly convinced

that outboard motors run better when there are oars in the boat. :idea:

(You might try setting them up like Alumacraft does, with the blades slipped under holding strips of aluminum, and the handles laying on the seats against the sides of the boat)

I carry a very standard, one piece aluminum shaft, plastic blade canoe paddle right on the rear casting deck. I did not like the collapsible models because I like to use it to push with. Push off docks, the shore, etc.