Boat brand rating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCraftHans

Reaction score
Hello fellow Boaters,

After 1 season of using my 1957 Starcraft 14' I am looking to upgrade to a bigger boat. Something between 16'6 and 17'6.

I am looking for advice on brands. I have just started looking and have local dealers for Lund and Tracker and there is a bit of difference in the pricing.

I know some of that is because of Brand popularity and I know that there are other brands out there as well.

I would prefer to buy new if I can swing it but would like your input on what it good to have vs. what is not really necessary. I guess Need vs. Want

I have started to lean towards the walk-thru windshield style in a deep V. I live close to the St.Croix River and want to be able to enjoy it as well as lake fishing. Also would like to be able to pull the grand kids on a tube, no skiing so wondering about motor size 60, 75, 90 or 115

We do have a show coming next month so I was hoping to narrow down the list and have my questions ready to go

Thanks,
Hans

How long are you looking to keep it is a question you have to ask yourself. My friend just bought a 2000 Lund 17 ft walkthrough with a 115 Yamaha. We fished out of it all last season. If the condition of that 20 year old boat is any indication, he should be fishing out of it for a long time. On the waters of Georgian Bay it impresses me. Definitely a tough hull.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Tracker is an entry level boat. Not in a bad way, but things are going to be made cheaper to keep the price down. They also put pathetically small motors on to keep the price low.

Lund is a solid boat, no doubt, but you pay extra for the name.

Not sure what else is available in your area, but Alumacraft, Lowe, and Crestliner are worth looking at too.

After the early 2000's, Tracker quality went way downhill. Corporate bean counters have taken their toll. Their boats are cheaper than others for a reason. My buddy bought one the year before last becasue the whole package was really inexpensive. It got him out on the water but even he admits he doesn't want to own the boat after 5 or 6 years. Lund is 100% the other direction. You pay for the quality but you also pay for the name. One thing is for sure, that premium you pay is usually not wasted when it comes time to resell. They hold their value, everyone loves a Lund.

I don't think so but I'm not sure. They are made in Canada and have a good reputation.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Does any other state in the USA have as many aluminum boat manufacturers than they do in Arkansas? Seems like there's about 8 or 9 there maybe more. Ranger was (is?) buiding aluminum hulls, as is Vexus. Ranger is owned by bass pro. Didn't know if yall knew that or not.

regardless, I think that if you shop around a little you'll find out that the old v-hull style boats are a thing of the past for "most" recreational use. Still see a few of them around but the newer hulls are really REALLY good. I can honestly say this because I tested a mercury on the creek today that was hung on a 1969 arkansas traveler. There wasn't really anything I particularly liked about the hull. Hard to move around in, didn't ride any better than newer stuff, doesn't handle at all during a turn while on plane, etc etc. Actually I take that back, the only thing impressive was it's character. It was nice-and original. Kinda like an old car. They have a lot of nostalgia but don't compare to anything newer.

Latest posts