Transom Replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extreme

Reaction score
Going to replace my transom in my 2005 Lund WC14.
I purchased a 2019 Yamaha 20 short shaft . My Transom is 15" and my Yamaha is 17". I'd like to put the cavitation plate level with bottom of boat and it's currently sitting 2-3" low.
Question being is can I safely make my new transom 2" higher then the original? Of course it will be capped off with new aluminum.
Replacing the transom anyways and no need to purchase a jack plate.
Seems all new motors that are made shortshaft seem to run 17-18" shaft length?

Extreme said:
Going to replace my transom in my 2005 Lund WC14.
I purchased a 2019 Yamaha 20 short shaft . My Transom is 15" and my Yamaha is 17". I'd like to put the cavitation plate level with bottom of boat and it's currently sitting 2-3" low.
Question being is can I safely make my new transom 2" higher then the original? Of course it will be capped off with new aluminum.
Replacing the transom anyways and no need to purchase a jack plate.
Seems all new motors that are made shortshaft seem to run 17-18" shaft length?

Shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you bolt the motor down, in addition to the clamps.

Awhile back I was hanging a 35 Evinrude long shaft on a Crestliner 16’ Sportsman and was thinking the same thing that I would raise it up a little so I tried putting a 1” block on top of the transom and gave it a run but it cavitated pretty bad so took the block out and all was good. So you may want to test it first.....

The safest bet is to test. Consider the lowest part of the hull in front of the prop the bottom, counting the extrusions in the aluminum. On my boat this adds about one inch more than if I measure from the flat part. Also it makes a difference how much clearance between the cavitation plate and the prop. I have a Mercury that has less that 1/4”. My Tohatsu has 3/4. With the Mercury I have to have the cavitation plate down level with the lowest part of the hull or it blows out. The Tohatsu I can run a little higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts