Downrigger Install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varnco

Reaction score
I am not crazy about drilling 8 holes in my boat, so I thought of mounting these via the cleats.

Here is a mockup. The wood would be replaced with aluminum, or wood covered with carpet.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200322131722831_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200322131722831_COVER.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 392
  • 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200322131628559.jpg
    00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200322131628559.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 392
  • 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200322131522765_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200322131522765_COVER.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 392
What about using the versatrack? Then you still have use of the cleats?

Why not. I use a similar board that I bolt to the oarlocks on my 16' aluminum. You could router a pocket in the board to fit over the cleat and allow the board to sit flat on the gunwale. Maybe use an aluminum plate on top where the u bolt comes through. Screw it down to the board on the corners to keep it from splitting...

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Make sure you back up the nuts on the cleats with big, heavy duty washers or metal plates. Down riggers put a lot of stress on whatever they are bolted to.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Why not. I use a similar board that I bolt to the oarlocks on my 16' aluminum. You could router a pocket in the board to fit over the cleat and allow the board to sit flat on the gunwale. Maybe use an aluminum plate on top where the u bolt comes through. Screw it down to the board on the corners to keep it from splitting...

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Good idea on pocket, but i dont have a router.

So, no worries of stress being put on the cleats?

I am fresh watering it, but i have never used a downrigger.

I may buy a pair of cleats and mount to the board, so I can still have a rear cleat on each side.

Scott F said:
Make sure you back up the nuts on the cleats with big, heavy duty washers or metal plates. Down riggers put a lot of stress on whatever they are bolted to.

Think cleats can handle the stress?

Lots of guys do something similar.

If it were me, I would remove the cleats and remount them on top of the 2x6 using the existing holes and longer bolts. That way the board is laying flat on the gunnel which makes it more solid, more resistant to the DR forces, and you can still use the cleats. And, I agree that a backer should be used under the gunnel.

LDUBS said:

If it were me, I would remove the cleats and remount them on top of the 2x6 using the existing holes and longer bolts. That way the board is laying flat on the gunnel which makes it more solid, more resistant to the DR forces, and you can still use the cleats. And, I agree that a backer should be used under the gunnel.
That's a great idea.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

LDUBS said:

I agree with LDUBS, I don't think the cleats would be able to handle the stress put on them by the downriggers. I have my riggers mounted on a 2x6 along with 2 rod holders but I just bolted the 2x6 right on to the gunnel so it sits flush. I do not mind the holes in the gunnels since I have an older boat.

Thanks everyone!

I stopped by the store to pickup aluminum bar, and they closed due to Covid.

:-(

It's going to have to wait...

I installed a Traxstech system on my boat. It wasn't cheap but it's amazing, especially the twist and lock rod holders. 6 foot tracks which are SUPER strong. It will easily break my 200lb test downrigger wire before pulling my riggers overboard.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was such an old post! I'll keep my pictures if anyone is interested for future reference.

I don't seem to have many good pictures of the system, you can kind of see what is going on here with my buddy Cindy:
20190523_094850-X2.jpg

Here's a shot of it all but you have to deal with my ugly mug in the shot:
20190618_191141-L.jpg

Took the boat out Saturday and briefly used the downrigger down to 20" and it worked great!

Just reporting in that my setup has been working without issue. Used it all last year without issue.

I installed my own versa track, so I am going to try a set-up on that.

Have a good 2021.

Latest posts