Jon boat in bed of pickup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskiefish

Reaction score
Hi, looking for advice on buying a jon boat that I can put in the bed of a pickup truck that will not be to hard for when I'm by myself.

I really want to get a 1542 or 1436 but feel like they are going to be a hassle to load and unload by myself.

A 1240 or 1236 could be ideal but worried they aren't stable enough.

Any insight and advice would be appreciated.

A bad idea IMO. Sticks out too far, C of G wants to make it fall out. You would be liable if it causes an accident. Check with your insurance company.

They used to have a pivoting pylon so that it would swing up & over the cab. That would be OK if strapped down twice over.

About the only boats I would put in the back of a pick-up would be a canoe, a kayak or a crawdad or something on that order. When you start getting into larger boats the weight is going to be greater and it will be a hassle to load and unload. Plus all your gear will have to be loaded and unloaded at the dock.

We transport a 1232 in the bed of our truck. I wouldn't want to unload anything bigger or heaver than that and I'm unloading with my 13 year old son.

Find yourself a cheap boat trailer...they are out there.
It will make things more enjoyable.

I’ve never tried it but I’ve seen people use these effectively.

https://www.amazon.com/Gearsmith-Pickup-Mounted-Extension-Extender/dp/B00C8FYBEG

If you have an 8 ft bed. +2 feet for the gate + 2 more feet on the extension should be more than solid carrying 14 feet.

But those boats are heavy. You need to consider your lake and ramp conditions. It wouldn’t be hard to mount a trailer winch in the bed to help also.

You also need to skip a fancy paint job etc. Boat needs to be up to rough handling and dragging.

CedarRiverScooter said:
A bad idea IMO. Sticks out too far, C of G wants to make it fall out. You would be liable if it causes an accident. Check with your insurance company.

They used to have a pivoting pylon so that it would swing up & over the cab. That would be OK if strapped down twice over.

I think a old buddy had something like that for his Tahoe where to clipped the boat on the back hitch and was able to rotate it over the hood. Way too much for solo.

Pawatch said:
Find yourself a cheap boat trailer...they are out there.
It will make things more enjoyable.

I know you're correct about the trailer but I already have a 18 ft glass boat and dont want another trailer, lol.

I have a lake 5 minutes from me where you can't have a gas motor on your boat to fish it.

Shaugh said:
I’ve never tried it but I’ve seen people use these effectively.

https://www.amazon.com/Gearsmith-Pickup-Mounted-Extension-Extender/dp/B00C8FYBEG

If you have an 8 ft bed. +2 feet for the gate + 2 more feet on the extension should be more than solid carrying 14 feet.

But those boats are heavy. You need to consider your lake and ramp conditions. It wouldn’t be hard to mount a trailer winch in the bed to help also.

You also need to skip a fancy paint job etc. Boat needs to be up to rough handling and dragging.

I don't think length is the issue. I put that 12' jon in an 8' bed with a toolbox in the bed, so I probably only have 6' of bed. It sticks out but I strap it down - problem solved.

The issue that I see is weight. One guy unloading a 14' jon is doing some work, especially if you're at the ramp and you are dropping it 4' to the ground instead of only 3' because the ground is sloped.

I've carried a 12 ft jon with no problems. One thing that helps is a strap across the front attachment points (in the truck bed) and a pully in the middle of the strap. I would back up at the ramp and slide it off. Then use the pully to help pull it back on.

https://youtu.be/ghrYkaBt_zA

Attachments

• p201706061547323368801.jpg
    p201706061547323368801.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 2012-04-14_13-16-55_686.jpg
    2012-04-14_13-16-55_686.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 1,112
With that extension bar to slide the boat on I can easily imagine flipping the boat over and just letting the front edge rest on the bar. Then make a frame that goes in the front stake pockets. mount a boat trailer winch in the center and crank the boat up on the truck.... Some people even mount an electric to pull ATVs up:

https://arthurrothsteinarchive.com/i/2019/05/motorcycle-winch-systems-truck-bed-winch-anchor-winching-motorcycle-into-truck-bed-cargo-buddy-winch-mount.jpg

the real effort would be in how to position the boat out of the water. You'd need to have a place to flip it over I'd think so the load is on the top rails.. you'd also need to worry about the back end dragging on a concrete ramp.... but you could lay down a 2x6 for it to ride on till it rose up..

Shaugh said:
With that extension bar to slide the boat on I can easily imagine flipping the boat over and just letting the front edge rest on the bar. Then make a frame that goes in the front stake pockets. mount a boat trailer winch in the center and crank the boat up on the truck.... Some people even mount an electric to pull ATVs up:

https://arthurrothsteinarchive.com/i/2019/05/motorcycle-winch-systems-truck-bed-winch-anchor-winching-motorcycle-into-truck-bed-cargo-buddy-winch-mount.jpg

the real effort would be in how to position the boat out of the water. You'd need to have a place to flip it over I think so the load is on the top rails.. you'd also need to worry about the back end dragging on a concrete ramp.... but you could lay down a 2x6 for it ride on till it rose up..
Railblaza and brocraft both make wheels that attach to the back of the boat for easy movement and the bottom doesn't get scratched.

yep I think you could make something like wheels work to help get it to the point where it's resting on the bar.... if the slope of the ramp area isn't too steep... you could even think about a ramp... just like they use for ATVs.... hook up that winch and just drag it up the ramp.... you could hook the ramps right on that bar....

https://www.harborfreight.com/1200-lb-capacity-convertible-aluminum-loading-ramp-94057.html

Did it many years. 1432 in the back of an 82 El Camino (v6 nonetheless...gutless wonder). Mercury 9.8. Fuel, tackle everything. Had to take the motor off, load the boat into the "truck" (Cruck, Cark?), then throw the motor in the motor well for weight so it didn't fall out. Tied down well.

We load boats all the time at work. A 1542 is too heavy to load by yourself into a pickup. It's also almost too wide to fit, particularly narrow bed (stepside) full size pickups. It's better if you have a long bed; and around here there ain't no such thing. Everyone wants a short bed.

I keep a 12 ft semi v in the bed of my truck, it’s a 6.5 ft bed. Works out really well. It is a little difficult to unload/load by yourself without sliding it around a lot on the ground because of the awkward angle. I use a harbor freight wheely/dolly and set the front of the boat on that when I take it on and off to prevent hurting the bottom of the boat.

Dave

Do people make a cradle for the bed of the truck to hold the V? Would you load the boat transom first or bow first?

Lowe makes a 1042 would it be more stable than a 1236? I am looking around for weight which one is a little lighter.

How much motor seems like a lot to lift? Weight of motor not HP for the boat.

I've put a 14' semi-v in the back of my 6.5 bed before. You need two people and I load it transom first. Then put all of my gear in the boat near the transom and strap it all down. I've had no concerns with the stability, but it sticks way out there and you need a flag on it. As stated, you definitely need two people and all gear comes out for loading and unloading.

It's a pain, but necessary when I have a few good lakes where the only public access is a carry-in.

Good luck!

12ft semi, 6.5 ft bed.
I keep the 9.9 up front to keep from bouncing around and for forward weight. Ratchet straps around the back to keep in tight.
The dolly I made cost like 20 bucks, but I have a set of Beach master mounting wheels that will replace it.
Load the boat in the back, then load your gear.
Park at the launch site and wheel the whole contraption down to the ramp and not have to wait on the slow pokes trying to back their trailer in.
I'm still young enough to load it by myself so it can be done, but a trailer might be easier for others.

Attachments

• 20190630_110331.jpg
    20190630_110331.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 100
  • 20190715_161855.jpg
    20190715_161855.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 103
  • 29614.jpeg
    29614.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 99

Latest posts