Quicksilver Commander trim switch/harness replaced

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwiel

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me here.
I replaced the trim switch and wire harness on my Commander shifter because it was broken.
Unfortunately, in the process of connecting the wiring, the box fell over and some of the parts fell out.
After much frustration, I thought I had put everything back properly until I noticed the small brass 'button' on the left in the first picture on the paper towel.
It definitely serves a purpose somewhere.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you see anything that looks wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.
jwiel

Attachments

• 3 commander.jpg
    3 commander.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
  • 1 commander.jpg
    1 commander.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 125
Could it be the cam roller (#33) in the diagram here https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-marine-accessory-parts/remote-controls-and-components/1986-thru-1993/commander-2000-remote-control

What year is your setup?

Thanks for the reply guys.
It's a 1995 Mercury, 115 ELPTO.

The left-over part is a solid piece of brass.
I've attached a new picture for size reference. It's on the left, larger than the roller for the fast idle.

Attachments

• roller with back of housing.jpg
    roller with back of housing.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
Is this what the part is? If so, it shows it as the roller detent #45 in the diagram here https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-marine-accessory-parts/remote-controls-and-components/1994-up/commander-2000-remote-control-16900-series and unfortunately, the diagram doesn't seem to show the best how it goes together. It looks like it might be used to trigger the neutral safety switch. If that's it, check under the black arm where I circled in yellow your picture. I would check my setup, but I know I don't have the neutral safety hooked up with my jet, I can start my motor with it in forward.

edit: check your wires I circled in pink, it looks like you forgot to connect those.

Attachments

• merc_commander5.jpg
    merc_commander5.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 70
  • merc_commander3.jpg
    merc_commander3.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 69
  • merc_roller.jpg
    merc_roller.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 69
Yes, that's it! Thanks Jeff!
And thanks for your keen eye as well!