Tracker Grizzly 1448 Side Console Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackblotto

Reaction score
Thinking of adding a side console to my 2017 1448 and wondered who has this setup and what they think. I really prefer this setup over a tiller-steer, but there are definitely negatives. One thing that I worry about is being somewhat locked-in to the motor choice as the controls tend to be motor-specific at least from what I've read but maybe that's incorrect? Also wondering how badly it would cut down on space especially on a 14' boat?

Lastly, Tracker has a little cheap looking one that would work, but it costs a lot. Would actually like to install the one on the 1648 SC if they sell that separately as it has some added features, but again, thinking it's likely too big for the 1448. Maybe somebody else has some ideas, DIY SC projects that they did and liked, other "generic" side consoles that might work, etc.

Thanks, David

I have a ‘81 Sea Nymph JB 142 that has a neat little side console. Just enough room for the steering rack and a few switches. The motor controls are mounted on a L-bracket on the bench.

This console leaves the entire mid-floor open. Could not be more simple as a DIY project.

My photos Of my boat are on my other phone, but here’s a snap from the original brochure:

7CF1D575-C3D5-4538-8D10-BA002F2E4671.png

most of the ones I've seen take up half of the floor in width....a lot of floor space lost, IMO. That one in the pic above, smallest console I ever seen. I can see where it'd work.

Downside is it doesn't turn as well as a tiller, but sounds like you already know that. Also if you have a short transom, some motors don't offer 15" shafts with remote steering option. So you might look into that before going full bore into the project. And some, when you can convert the tiller to remote, you won't have power tilt, a big negative in some ways. Lots to think about. I have run a Alumaweld 1542 console, similar setup (just sit on the bench to run the helm/controls) but the old 55hp Yamaha didn't have tilt....what a nightmare. I got into a submerged sandbar once and couldn't tilt the motor, at all, just had to get out of the boat and dig the foot out of the sand, and tilt it up, in the river, with the current flowing. That was interesting. But we caught some catfish, and good ones at that.

TKO22 said:
I have a ‘81 Sea Nymph JB 142 that has a neat little side console. Just enough room for the steering rack and a few switches. The motor controls are mounted on a L-bracket on the bench.

This console leaves the entire mid-floor open. Could not be more simple as a DIY project.

My photos Of my boat are on my other phone, but here’s a snap from the original brochure:

7CF1D575-C3D5-4538-8D10-BA002F2E4671.png

That looks like a terrific alternative for a small boat. Thanks for sharing.

This was at a local dealership this year...Alumacraft
"Click on the picture and it displays right"
I kind of liked the idea the console was up front.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 568

Latest posts