Lund Rebel Transon Replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper72

Reaction score
I am going to replace the transom on my 1988 Lund Rebel. I haven't done anything like this before and have questions.

1. Where is the best place to disconnect the wiring from the motor so it can be removed? I have a 97 Evinrude 40 and it does not appear that there is any quick way to disconnect.

2. Does anyone know the size of the rivets used on a 1988 Lund Rebel?

3. Where would I get replacement rivets?

Thanks so much!

1) Motor
  • Control - Detach from motor connections on starboard side of motor, on some motors it's fastest to remove the lower pan on that side
  • OB Wiring Harness - There's a large Deutsch or Amphnenol connection under the hood/cowling
  • 12V leads - Disconnect from -ground point and +pos side by starter

... take pictures of all connection points and routing!

2) Rivets
Most likely 3/16" rivets

3) Where?
Buy in bulk from Jay-Cee Rivets, as they have a large inventory for great prices! See: https://www.rivetsonline.com/a187b0375a/a187b0375a

You want 'Brazier' head 1100F alloy 3/16" rivets, most likely in 3/8" length with a handful of 1/2" or perhaps even longer ones in case you need a few longer rivets, but if so, ALWAYS cut the length for best application.

4) Other
You need more tooling - see below, plus an air compressor and air hammer. On my old Starcraft with new transom 'skins' inside and out, as well as a new transom core, I put in over 300 rivets using a Harbor Freight pancake compressor and their air hammer tool (< $20). And many 100 since on other's boats too.

AIR HAMMER ANVIL SIZE - Here's a link to the proper tool to set brazier head riverts, using an air tool, for $10 to $13 ... at least when I posted those prices a year ago.

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41248

BUCKING BAR - See link for this $20 bucking bar from VintageTrailer. I ordered it and had it 2-days later.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Bucking-Bar-p/vts-825.htm

You can use a scrap piece of metal for a bucking bar, but you DO NOT WANT a 'dimpled' bucking bar ... as you are bucking the TAIL end, not the rounded or dome-shaped Brazier head. You want a perfectly flat/square piece to bear up against the tail end of the rivet. And for best results, they must be held perpendicular to each other before AND while pulling the trigger.

Thanks so much! I am sure I will be back on with more questions than you can shake a stick at.

Already - set to order rivets. Don't the rivets go through the transom board. How does a 3/8 inch rivet work?

chopper72 said:
Already - set to order rivets. Don't the rivets go through the transom board. How does a 3/8 inch rivet work?
You really should take the old transom apart first and see what you have. Most use long SS bolts through the transom wood ...

That rivet website tells you have to determine the length of the rivet needed. I recall the 3/8" did all fastening of 2 pieces of tin together on the hull. In a few spots, where the topsides, running bottom and where a chine also over-lapped, is where I needed the longer 1/2" rivets.

The posts in my signature are complete with pictures, techniques and sources of materials.

I'm finishing up a transom rebuild myself on a 1984 Polar Kraft. The rivets I encountered were 3/16" (which I replaced with closed end rivets from Fastenall) and 1/4" (the longer through-wood rivets which I replaced with stainless carriage bolts and Allen head for the handles). Good luck with your remodel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest posts